Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Embellished Journal Completed...




And they say quilters don't sew buttons! For the last several weeks I've been working on this journal project for my online class with Carole Brungar of Madness and Mess. My classmates and I learned everthing from creating journal pages, to using transfers, to sewing the pages into a cohesive book form. Carole is an outstanding instructor and offers easy-to-follow videos on each technique needed to complete the projects. Now that we've finished up this class, Carole is ready to begin her next one entitled "I'll Make You Smile". You can learn more here on her blog.



As satisfying as it is to have the journal completed... well, 75% completed because I still need to add some stamping and journaling... I feel very good about finally using some of the many laces, hankies, embellishments I've gathered over the years. I noted to a quilt guild friend that I'm hesitant to write in the journal after all that work. What if my writing detracts from a page rather than enhances it? She came up with a great idea. She suggested writing on some vintage-looking paper outside the journal, using a variety of pens and practicing until I find bits or pages of writing that I like. Then I can glue them in. Now that's a good solution, and I'm going to give it a try. Will show more pages when I add the journaling.

6 comments:

Robbie said...

Nancy, very nice journal! Do use and write in your journal. It will be a great keepsake for yourself and your family.

Susan said...

How very lovey, and such a nice way to use all those tucked away laces

Maggi said...

Your journal is beautiful Nancy. It begs to be used.

Barb said...

That is just beautiful... as for older looking pages ~ my son had a project for school ~ he had to write some journal pages from the late 1800's. We took white computer paper, crinkled it, soaked it in tea, tore the edges and laid it out to dry. It looked fabulous! Good luck.

Barb said...

Nancy ~ you are set to "no reply" so I couldn't email back but yes, we have a wonderful quilt shop here in Rockledge. Definitely worth the visit. I'll be over in Gainesville next week. Any good shops over there?

Tereza Crump said...

oh, wow!! this is such a pretty album. thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out my altered book. :)