Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Coffee Break....


This is a small wall quilt I made and machine quilted using a pattern and fabric from the Cuisine-Coffee Classic series by McKenna Ryan. The pattern is for a square quilt, but I added some batiks to top and bottom, preferring a rectangular look.

While it is small, there is a fair amount of work in the piece. It's fusible applique. The machine quilting...I'm making progress. That's thanks to a workshop offered at my quilt guild a year or so ago by Jan Doudna. She gave plenty of helpful pointers and I got some successfully free-motioned quilt sandwiches underway. And I've found the Supreme Slider and Leah Day's 365 Days of Free Motion Quilting blog to be most helpful as well.

It was a fun project. And it's brown. I always like brown in quilts! One time I was with a group looking through some quilt photos. I chose one that I found especially appealing. Another member of the group commented, "But it's brown. Quilters don't really make brown quilts, do they?" Everyone laughed because brown was practically my signature color. That's less true now (or is it?), but at that time, every quilt had brown in it.

6 comments:

Susan said...

beautiful colors. I love brown!

sonja said...

me too! the colors of morning coffee and cinnamon in the coffee and leaves under the tree! Yummo!

Jan said...

This is cute. Brown can be so many lovely shades, just like the coffee we drink. Nice work.

Caterina Giglio said...

this is a lovely piece! and thanks so much for you kind remarks about my sacred hearts article! I so appreciate it! ciao!

Martha Lever said...

This is a wonderful little quilt! I love it and I am sure it really was a lot of work!!!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh this is so cool!!! I'm in Carole's class with you and thought I'd pop over. I need to get some photos posted of my pages! :D Marva