Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 8, 2018

Charmed and Tagged for 2018...




This accordion-fold sewn book almost put itself together. I wanted a quiet but quick project to work on over the holiday week, and this was just the ticket. Pawing through paper scraps and images was relaxing and fun. And so is sewing on paper! After taking Mary Ann Moss's online class Stitch Bookery last summer, there are so many papers that just beg to be sewn into a book. This one began by making tags from black cardstock.



Next came collaging various images and background papers into small, pleasing layouts. To secure the papers I used decorative machine stitches rather than glue. I did discover that my sewing machine occasionally skips stitches when sewing on paper. Maybe if I slow down a bit it would help.


I also discovered that not all decorative stitches are suited to sewing paper. Any that sew in one spot repreatedly to form the pattern are likely to perforate the paper so much that it can't hold together. Noted. Junk mail, calendar images, pretty scrapbooking papers can all be found in this sewn tag book. And each hole is looped with crinkle ribbon for a pretty topper.


And what book is complete without its own jewelry? After exchanging hand-made fiber beads at Christmas, I decided to use some of them as charms on the hair band closure of the book. It's a first foray into bending wire and forming the charms and it's a bit hard on the hands. There is more to learn about this technique, but I am a willing pupil! After all, I know I have more paper and images that need to reside in a tag book of their own. And they, too, will need jewelry.


4 comments:

Robbie said...

These are adorable! And the little sleepy puppy is SO cute!!! Very clever my friend!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WONDERFUL. I love everything about it. I have also found that you have to place your stitch length at nearly the longest for paper, because it also works the same way as some of your decorative stitches. You are speaking my kind of language with paper and sewing, and wrapping wire, which I agree is hard on your hands, too. I look forward to many, many more of these tag books.

Createology said...

Lovely and fun tag book with the paper beads embelllshments. I love sewng lace and paper along with fabrics. JOYful January...<3

Lynette (NZ) said...

So lovely to see this - inspires me to get back to more Stitch*Bookery :-)