Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 25, 2018

And the Tie Goes To...





Homage to Menswear, an upcycled quilt project made from years-worth of my husband's neckties and ones gifted to me by his co-workers. The bag of ties had hung around the sewing room long enough! They needed to find a home in a project. And this is the result.





While I was deconstructing and preparing the ties, I noticed that the labels were pretty interesting, too. Hidden away on the back of the neckties, they needed to face front and be part of this recycling effort. While most of the ties are paisley, dots, stripes and other standard menswear, a few maverick prints stood out. Notably, this one of the children's artwork. It was from a tie produced as a fundraiser for UNICEF some years back. 



There were a couple of "joke" ties in the collection, too. My husband worked in banking, so the money tie was a fun addition. The decorative stitches also serve as the quilting in this piece, sewn in Crazy-Quilt style.




Still lots of silk pieces and labels left over, so I turned them into Prairie Points and added them to the bottom edge of the quilt. The beads serve as a little sparkle, plus they weight the silk because it wanted to curl a bit.



And once I got the beads out to add them to the quilt.... well, I HAD to get in a little more practice at making charms. So many pretty beads. It's fun to work with them. I find that nearly everything quilty or crafty appeals to me so much that I want to try every kind of project! Of course that leads to a remarkable amount of fabric and supplies. But I'm working my way through, bit by bit. Up next? Mandalas! Paper ones, fabric ones, and who knows what else? Stay tuned. The Mandalas are coming.







4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

A friend gave me his old ties a few years ago, and many of them were high quality silk. You have given me an idea for a project, too. I love what you have done with yours. When I deconstruct the ties, I also use and save the labels, but I have been known to die the lining and use it in my art, too. Thanks for sharing this and giving me many ideas for what to do with all those ties I still have collecting dust in my cabinet. BTW, I love the Children and the MONEY tie!

Jan said...

What a fun little piece! I wish I had gotten my father's ties after he retired. But I probably would never have done anything with them and I can always come up with some ties if I really wanted to do something with ties. I like how you also incorporated the labels, good placement. And the beaded charms are just the right finishing touch.

Createology said...

Ties are quite sentimental and your quilt is stunning in honor of your husband and his wearing of ties. Using the fabulous labels and beads really add personality. Years ago, I helped a friend use her father’s ties to make quilted photo frames for each family member...and the photo inside was one of her father wearing one of the ties used in each frame. Such Love and Creative Bliss...<3

Robbie said...

Well, look at you Miss Nancy!!! How cool this is!!! And what a great idea for using the ties. I like this so much better than a tie quilt!!! Wonderful...all your little touches are perfect addition(s)!