Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Day Trip to Downton Abbey, sort of...




Are you a fan of the PBS Masterpiece series Downton Abbey? The several seasons of the drama spanned the years from 1912 to 1926 in Great Britain. It told the story of the aristocratic Crawley family and their servant staff as they lived through epic historic events and social change. If you are a fan, the beautiful and memorable fashions of the era surely caught your eye. I had the opportunity recently to visit the Lightner Museum in St. Augustine where the "Dressing Downton" exhibit is on display until January. I may need to return for a second visit. It was wonderful! This dress was worn by the character Lady Rose MacClare, a Crawley relative in Season 4, era early 1920s.




Other than the clothing and the rugs, which were loaned for this exhibit, everything in the room settings is taken from the Lightner Museum collection. The docent explained that it took weeks to get things out of storage, cleaned, and arranged for this display. All the furnishings were safely on the third floor and ready for the exhibit when St. Augustine experienced flooding during September's Hurricane Irma. Every room setting was so thoughtfully put together, that each one was a large part of the enjoyment of my visit. This is Lady Mary Crawley's dress from Season 1, era 1913.




Lady Mary wore this dress in Season 2, era 1917-1920. It's pink silk with a black net overlay, stitched with sequins and beads.



One of the Crawley daughters, Lady Sybil became a nurse to support the World War I effort. This nurse's uniform represents the era 1918 during Season 2. It's shorter and less full than fashionable because of the shortage of cotton during the war.




The masculine wool breeches and tailored coat for women reflected the need for women to do "men's work" during and after the war. Lady Edith Crawley learned to drive a car and she rode a bike around the estate farm.





Finally, I was able to join the Dowager Countess of Grantham, Violet Crawley; the Countess, Lady Cora Crawley; and the Earl of Grantham, Robert Crawley for an evening at the theater. I'll show some more of these wonderful fashions in an upcoming blog post. And I'll tell you a bit more about the museum, which is remarkable all on its own. Meantime, if you are near St. Augustine, Florida in the coming months, do try to see this exhibit! 



8 comments:

Barb said...

what a wonderful exhibit! Thanks for sharing your photos. I love the costumes with the props like the bike. I miss the show - maybe it's time to watch it again.

Anonymous said...

So cool to see these gowns and dresses. I wonder if that exhibit travels to other places.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hate to admit this, but I didn't see a single episode of Downton Abby. I have no idea why, I guess because it wasn't a mystery, I didn't watch it. I did see how they made the costumes and sets on a PBS special. It looks like it was well worth the visit and I think it's a great project, too. So glad you got the chance to see it, too.

Robbie said...

I loved, loved, loved Downton Abbey!!! Hated when the series was over!!!!! I remember these dresses...Lady Mary! What class....I am sending my sister link to your blog. Maybe she'll get down to see the exhibit!!! She watched the series too!!! Thanks for sharing these with us.

Createology said...

What a wonderful museum exhibit of Downton Abbey memorabilia. I loved the show and all the fashions. You are so fortunate to be able to visit this exhibit and thank you for sharing it with us. <3

The Inside Stori said...

I was late coming to Downton Abby, mainly because I avoid British shows since I can't understand what they are saying. But I downloaded the series to my laptop and watched while traveling, using ear buds.....heard nearly every word that way. I could watch it all over again....wish it never ended. The gowns are fabulous.....the exhibit started at the Biltmore in Asheville.....a
perfect backdrop!

Celeste said...

I just love your comments about the show. What a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.

Lynette (NZ) said...

What a wonderful opportunity. Loved the series and the gowns were a huge part of that. Thanks for sharing these ♥