Powered By Blogger

Sunday, May 10, 2020

A Little of This, A Bit of That...




During this stay-at-home time I've been able to complete or nearly complete three quilt projects, right down to the labels and sleeves. So that has been a good outcome. Even so, I don't feel as productive as usual. One antidote to that feeling is the pleasure I get from working on small handwork projects and learning as I go. This colorful cat patch is a fabric print to which I've added hand embroidery and some beads. It's worked on a piece of turmeric dyed cotton. The patch is going into a collection of little stitched bits I'm planning to use in an altered tote bag project. It made for good tv watching work, and I think it will be right at home in the tote.



In addition, a number of artists and stitchery groups have made some free instruction available online. One of them is  Textile Artists Organization which sponsored a series of 7 textile artists, each with a video tutorial and a stitch challenge. Week 3 was artist Emily Tull who taught us to merge observational skills with embroidery. She showed how to look at our own eyes, and translate what we saw into an embroidery piece like the one above. I took a selfie, cropped the image down to just my eye, and then sketched some lines to follow in thread. What an interesting concept. A Facebook group allowed students to share their challenges and what inspiration is found there! 


Free-motion stitching and some bright fabric scraps got turned into this fabric-paper piece done on scrapbooking paper. I'm not sure what this will be, but possibly a journal cover. Just a fun project to explore now that I have the time. So the stitching continues and so does keeping a low profile!

7 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Hi Nancy - love that idea for a stitched journal cover. Glad you are still stitching.

sonja said...

Yes Nancy! "the bright fabric scraps got turned into this fabric-paper" that you made is wonderful and it already is what i call gold! and it will be a superb journal cover or... And happy day to all the mothers reading this far!

Robbie said...

First off, the cat is wonderful! Love it!!! And your eye is so impressive!!! WOW!!! I can't even draw an eye let alone embroider one!!! Nice job, lady! Look forward to seeing where you put the fabric-paper collage!!! Would make a nice cover!!!

Florida Farm Girl said...

What interesting ideas! The eye is truly a wonder.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I was not here sooner. I love that cat. What an amazing beauty. The beading and stitching added a perfect touch. Of course, that eye was unbelievable. It is wonderful. I also LOVE the fabric paper collage, too. Your free motion quilting is simply stunning. You have certainly created some beauties during this lockdown, Nancy.

The Inside Stori said...

Oh yes, you HAVE been busy and very successful too!!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.