Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 16, 2020

Vintage Everything....







It was all about old quilts at the Alachua County Library Headquarters in Gainesville, Florida, last week. In fact, it's been all about quilts all month long in many of the branches, but more about that later. I was given the opportunity to put together a program featuring antique quilts titled "Revisiting Old Beauties." I invited two quilt collecting friends to join me, and together we shared some lovely pieces. This Golden Wedding Ring is a unique rendition of the timeless and popular 1930s Double Wedding Ring pattern. The colors have stayed so vibrant.




This is collector Jill Allen's Lone Star quilt top. It's a Pennsylvania quilt, her specialty in collecting. The large star is precision pieced while the satellite stars were pieced, then appliqued on the quilt top. It's circa 1920s and may have been what is known as a "kit quilt". This means the fabric colors were selected and pieces cut by a manufacturer, leaving the sewing and assembly to the quilter. It sparkles.



Jill was unable to join us for the presentation, though she did send her quilts. Here I am, left, with quilter and collector Debra Johnston, right, standing in front of Debra's Golden Wedding Ring and getting ready to talk about each of the quilts we brought. We estimated that at least half of our quilts were a century old, with others approaching that.



After showing each quilt, our expert holders and folders lined the quilts up on tables so that program visitors could take a close look at the fabrics, stitching, and quilting on each of the 20 or so quilts we brought. You can get a glimpse of my late 1800s to early 1900s sampler top, my early 1900s Bow Tie, my late 1800s Red and White Triple Irish Chain, Jill's early Pennsylvania Log Cabin, Debra's 1930s Touching Stars... and that's about as far as you can see in this photo.




In addition to collecting, we talked about revisting vintage quilts by replicating them- making a quilt in the same patern, but using new fabrics and methods. Jill loves to study old quilts and replicate them, as she did with this beautiful Cotton Boll quilt. She had an extra applique block left over and put it on our guild free table. I grabbed it up and made a funky Christmas wallhanging with it, foreground.





Mary Peer of the Quilters of Alachua County Day Guild wore her patchwork pants to represent at this festive event. Mary did all of the hard work of coordinating themed quilt displays at library branches throughout the county. She's standing in front of another antique quilt replicated by Jill Allen. Jill calls this one The Vermont Quilt after seeing the original, which is in a private collection, in a publication of quilts of Vermont. Her work is masterful, and she's an award winner.




To add to the vintage celebration of the day, this terrific old 1956 Studebaker car was parked outside the library. I had to add a photo of it. We completed our program just ahead of the library suspending all programming in the coming weeks. Now we will stay in and sew. Wishing all of you well. Hope you enjoyed revisiting these old beauties!



7 comments:

sonja said...

Thanks Nan for the vintage quilt show. You and your friends did a great job of assembling and presenting the fabric beauties.

Sometimes i got to drive my mom's 1956 ford fairlane to school back in the day. Oh my,those tail fins!

merriberri said...

What wonderful descriptions - I felt refreshed by my morning visit with these vintage treasures. I especially loved seeing Mary Peer in her patchwork pants - so fun!!! Thanks for sharing!

The Inside Stori said...

Great post…..love seeing and knowing vintage quilts are being loved and cared for. Your Funky Christmas quilt is such fun.

marilyn said...

Thank you for your post. Wonderful quilts. I am thankful for bloggers right now as I am staying home.

Florida Farm Girl said...

OMG, I love that Cotton Boll quilt!! Glad you got to enjoy your vintage quilt show before the library suspended activities. Our guild meeting for this month has been cancelled. Stay safe.

Robbie said...

I love seeing the vintage quilts!!! I appreciate so much the work these women did in the past and to replicate the quilts is a tribute to those same woman. How nice! Glad you had a chance to show these quilts before all the 'shutdown' came!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

After AT&T ran a new line and new connectors on Wednesday, I was finally back online. Just when I thought things were stable, I was once again offline for over nine hours. At least this time, I was able to get back on. Sorry I’m so late visiting.

I really enjoyed seeing these old quilts. My grandmother made similar ones. She cut each piece by hand and sewed with great precision. I really loved seeing these and know she would have enjoyed this post, too. Thank you for sharing these now that we are all told to stay home.