Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 7, 2020

Color Splash at Daytona Beach...





Lots of quilters traveled to Daytona Beach, FL, for the recent American Quilter's Society quilt show. It was a feast for the eyes and full of inspiration. This time I was drawn in by color-drenched quilts like Bricks 'n Gears by Claudia Pfeil. The complex piecing and wonderful quilting added to the beauty of this quilt.



The bright, happy fabrics used here, along with the variety of fonts in the lettering made this a "feel-good" quilt. It's called Against Such Things There is No Law and was made by Ben Darby.


The Studio Art Quilters Association (SAQA) had a special exhibit of quilts called Aloft. Each depicted the perspective from above which made each piece especially interesting. This is Lisa Thorpe's Flight From Portland, with an urban view.





Take Off by Jan Soules also gave a more pastoral air flight perspective.




I found Jean Renli Jurgenson's Hong Kong Taxi quite mesmerizing and almost dizzying!



Although not part of the Aloft exhibit, Kyoto Ochai's Space Fantasy has that aloft perspective. I've not seen rick rack that large, and I love the wonderful background fabrics used.


Marriane R. Williamson's Tornado certainly conveyed the terrifying chaos of such a weather event.




The color stimulation continued in the classes offered by various instructors. I took quilt artist Barbara Olson's Freeform Funky Castles class. It was a fun and playful session, and this is my Cotton Candy Castle that emerged. Of course it's just the beginning of it- I'm not sure where it will go from here.



 Barbara had lots of examples to inspire us in cutting and designing our castles. She uses fusible applique and finishes the edges with machine satin stitching.



Barbara uses black backgrounds make the colors really stand out.




Do you see Barbara's fantasy castle here? My brain switches back and forth from seeing candles to seeing castle turrets.



Here's the building material for our castles- a big pile of colorful prints. With classes, lectures, vendors and wonderful quilts, the AQS show was a great way to ignite the creative quilting juices!


6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My favorite has to be Hong Kong Taxi. I agree it is both mesmerizing and dizzying. Bricks and gears was really unique. Not my favorite color palette, but it was incredibly well constructed. Your funky castles class sounds wonderful. Certainly quite colorful. Thanks for sharing some of the quilts that caught your eye.

Robbie said...

The Freeform Funky Castles class looks like fun!!! Who would have thought of that theme! Did you get to see Susan's quilt...not sure if I sent you a picture. She and her hubby did go to see her piece hung. It was beautiful!

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you for the exciting quilt show!

Florida Farm Girl said...

What wonderful quilts! All are way outside my wheelhouse but I love them. The castle class looks like it was fun.

Lynette (NZ) said...

While I'm not making many quilts now I sure do enjoy looking at them. That first is my fav - wowser!

Antihero Skateboards said...

Thank you for shharing