Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 4, 2020

Stitchies Galore...






Is your sewing room anything like mine, with containers of small bits of fabrics and trims? Well a lot of the ones that live here have now found a new home in a special handwork project. Fiber artist Liz Kettle came up with the concept called Stitch Meditations and shares more about it in a video on her website. She is right in saying that making these small stitched pieces is both relaxing and quite satisfying as you watch a small pile of them grow! I started each of mine with a 4" square of light gray flannel and then built on top of the flannel with fabric bits and hand embroidery. I keep a container of elements handy, and then rummage through to find combinations I like.


The process was also featured in a recent issue of Quilting Arts (Issue 101, October/November 2019) and includes many examples for inspiration. The editors also issued a Reader Challenge based on the 4" squares and will show selected winners in an upcoming issue.



Embellish the pieces in any way you like. Most of mine are embroidered only, but I added buttons to one and some cheesecloth, lace motif, and velvet leaf to others (seen below). Pretty much any combo of materials that strikes my fancy goes!



I noticed on Pinterest that artist Lenna Andrews of Creative Swaps was making one of these "Stitchies" each day for a year as her art practice, and posting her photos. She enjoyed making them so much, that she has organized a Stitchie Swap. We will trade three of these small Stitchies which are due on February 1. You can learn more and see the ones I sent her at the link above. It won't be long before we receive our new pieces of art. What fun! And meanwhile, I'm adding to the pile. I'll show more of these in an upcoming post.







7 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

Gosh, this looks like fun!

sonja said...

what a great way to loosen up, use up and otherwise go with the flow with the stuff laying about on our tables and bin and boxes and baggies that can make an arty momento! they would make a wonderful card front as well as a diary of the moment. i have lottsa starter parts here!!

Lynette (NZ) said...

LOVE these. Very inspiring as I consider {more!} projects for the year ahead

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have met Liz Kettle. She is an amazing artist. This is a fun way to bust your stash, BUT I can't grip a needle, so this technique would be impossible for me. I really like what you have made and look forward to seeing more. Sadly, I must stick with my wonky stitches I create on my sewing machine (grin).

Robbie said...

Your pieces look so interesting!!!! All so different and what a great way to use up those scraps isn't it!!! I'll have to go to the link you provided to see what you sent. How cool!!! Not sure I could do one every day but what a great challenge!

Celeste said...

See it want to do it strikes again. Lovely and good practice.

ECKDesign said...

Arrrghhhhh! Another on my want to do list?! There just isn't enough time....