Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 27, 2019

Tying Up Loose Ends...




Wrapping up the year in my sewing room, there were a few finishing touches to add and projects to complete. This stitched heart made from necktie fabrics is one I showed previously, but I wanted to make it into a door hanger. So I sewed some split rings on each side at the top, and added a beaded wire hanger. It's now on display where I can see it.


I also kept making the leaf bowls shown earlier. I thought you might like to see them before they are shaped into the final form. These are the back sides cut from a single fabric. And you can see the free-motion stitched veins. The leaves are sewn flat, trimmed to shape and edge-stitched all around.


Each section of the leaf front is cut from a different fabric, fused in place, and then stitched.


Once stitching is completed, each one is steam pressed with an iron which makes it soft and pliable. Then it's pressed over the bottom of a medium size bowl, and another bowl placed on top to form it.


Once cool, the bowl holds its shape and hardens. I'm sure I'll be making lots more of these!


I also wanted to show more details of the whimsical Art Warrior Doll I got in our doll swap in Fiber Art Bee. She was made by Merri McKenzie and has all sorts of creative sayings and thoughts, front and back!


And she is holding a thimble charm in one hand along with the charm containing buttons you can just see in the photo above. I was told that those buttons hold a record of all of the creative ideas in the world. That's terrific because I, of course, want to make one of each! Now I have a reference. She's quite lovely. Here's to many more creative projects in 2020! Happy New Year to you.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

Just a lovely heart door hanger;)) and I really like the leaf bowls--so pretty nice work on all of these hugs, Julierose

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Before I forget, Happy New Year, dear Nancy.

Those leaf bowls are amazing. I don't understand how they keep their shape, though. Is there some special batting, or is it just the steam pressing (and forming) that allows them to keep their shape?

Your heart turned door hanger is genius. And now form follows function, too.

I look forward to seeing what dolls and other ideas you come up with in 2020. Thanks for the inspiration.

The Inside Stori said...

I especiallly love your leaf bowls….clever!

Florida Farm Girl said...

I really like those leaf bowls. Happy New Year

Robbie said...

Your leaf bowls are wonderful!!!! So pretty...functional...just really cool! And so glad your Art Warrior Doll has a new home!! It's quite the interesting and inspiring home for her to be in!!!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Happy end to 2019. Love the leaf bowl project most especially. Look forward to seeing what you create in 2020