Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 19, 2019

Ice-Dyeing: The Main Event...






Well, I needn't have worried about the Palomino Gold dye color being too orange to work with the blues- it's actually quite pretty. Though it looks different in nearly every area it appears, ranging in color from apricot to yellow-gold. This is a tee-shirt back that  received all of the dye colors.



And this is a piece of the PFD cotton fabric folded to form a mandala style radiating design.


A long rectangle of cotton shows the bands of color that were applied over the ice.



I did lots of odds and ends of fabrics in this ice-dye batch, and included a couple of squares of cotton I received in a fabric exchange. They were printed and hand-stamped with paint. This one now has an added layer of color from the ice-dyeing.


Here's the second square of hand-stamped fabric from the exchange. This one began as a white-on-white fabric print. The floral print acted as a resist to the dye, so the white flowers became more evident once the fabric was dyed. I'm happy with how these turned out.


One other item that's been waiting in the sewing room to get used somehow is this once-white silk ribbon. It took the dyes very nicely. I've already used it as an embellishment, and I'll show you this project in another post. It's not quite finished.


The shirt front took a lot of the Palomino Gold color, including those two blooming "things" seen at the bottom. I think I'll look better walking away as the back is the prettier side.




Just for reference, I'll include this photo of the dye application "before". It's so interesting how different the colors look once the dyeing is complete. If you're interested in knowing more about ice dyeing, Lynda Heines has a very good online class called Icy Delights. She offers so much authoritative information on amounts of dye to use, effective color combinations, tools and supplies, and lots more. Plus she has a dedicated Facebook page for added inspiration from her work and that of her students.


4 comments:

Robbie said...

I really like that palomino color! I'll have to check it out. I know Hilary uses Sand Coral a lot as well. Your shirt really turned out great!! I love the blue with the gold. The ribbons turned out wonderful!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your main event turned out fantastic. This was wonderful. It's a lovely tee. I like both sides and I LOVE the blooms. Your ribbon turned out great, too. Of the other items you dyed, I liked how the white on white fabric turned out. The little flowers really POPPED with the added dye. VERY nicely done, Nancy.

Lynda said...

Nancy, I love how your tshirt turned out. The colors are so pretty together. Thanks for mentioning my class and your kind comments about it. Looking forward to seeing more of your creations! Lynda

The Inside Stori said...

Wonderful success…kiddos!