Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

What's in That Bag?...




"Just Breathe" is the title of this Yoga frog wall quilt. I found the makings for it in the bag of scraps I was given, shown below. This was one of our challenges in our Fiber Art Bee. A year ago we each brought in a quart-size bag filled with fabrics, trims, and embellishments. We passed the bags left, and each now held the bag from which we were to make a small project. We could add to our pile of materials as needed. I'd guesstimate that 90% of my projects came from the bag, and I used up about 75% of the contenst. It was fun to try and figure out what to do with some of the things in there!




You can see the batik fabric scraps and the frog motifs, but there were also pink lace pieces, silk flowers and leaves, beads and skeins of embroidery floss. It looked pretty daunting when I spilled the contents out on the floor. Not only did I "find" the makings of the wall quilt in the bag, but also this lovely bride art doll.


Meet Violet Rose, the blushing bride. She, too, is created from a lot of the contents of the challenge bag. Her petal skirt, necklace, veil, yo-yo trim on her flower belt- it all came from the bag. Too lovely for words, that Violet Rose!




Here's her back view, complete with a pocket-full of dreams and her name tag. Violet Rose is an example of an Art Warrior doll which I learned to make in a class at Goatfeathers Studio with instructors Celeste Beck and Merri McKenzie. You can see a whole party full of these dolls in this earlier post.  They are great fun to make, and nearly create themselves from assorted scraps- as you can see from Violet Rose's humble beginnings!

Are you a fan of challenges? As I look back on the past year, I've participated in four or five, plus I have another in the works. So apparently I am a fan.


5 comments:

The Inside Stori said...

How cute is this!!!! Such fun….

Lynette (NZ) said...

Working small is a definite plus. Love the froggy quilt

Robbie said...

What an adorable piece!!!! The little frog is beyond cute!!!! How perfect!!!! You are just so clever!!!!

Jan said...

Love the froggyoga quilt! You were very successful with your challenge. I've participated in a similar challenge a few times. We traded scraps but the thing we created went back to the person who's scraps you received. We ended up calling it a baggo challenge. It was a lot of fun! Looks like you have fun with yours too!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have a great deal more imagination than I have. I fear I would never have come up with the beautiful piece you made, or the darling Violet Rose. You really ARE a fan of those challenges, because I fear I would be tearing my hair out about the time I laid everything out on my table. You are VERY impressive in both your sewing skills and your ability to see things others wouldn't. Great job, Nancy.