Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 3, 2018

Visions of Sugarplums...




With Christmas approaching, I knew it was time to make a holiday charm necklace. Half the fun in making these is hunting and gathering all the bits and pieces that go into the design.



It began with making yo yos, then adding beads, pearls and sparkly things to each one. I have one of the Clover yo yo makers, and used it to keep the yo yos a consistent size. I'm a gadget quilter, but when these yo yo makers first became available, I pooh-poohed them. "After all, who can't make a yo yo?", I thought, "They're so simple." But I tried one and quickly altered my thinking. They make the task so easy, quick, and they yield same-sized yo yos. So I now own several sizes! Lesson learned- don't be quick to judge and dismiss.



Another fun addition is the button stack charm with a pearl dangle. The small stoppered bottle is filled with star glitter confetti, and the clear pink vintage dangle is an old jewelry rescue. 



Idle hands are not my usual mode, so each evening I'd set up a tv tray with tools and doo-dads and get to work preparing items to use for charms. The little candy canes, pink bulbs, gum drops, and glitter stars are from small packages of mini-tree ornaments from Hobby Lobby. They just needed jump rings to get them ready.



Hobby Lobby also sold a bag of styrofoam "beads" that are used to fill clear glass containers for home decor. But they are lightweight and resemble snowball confections. I was able to pierce them, add sparkly things and turn them into charms.


The deep pink vintage button at the far upper right has hung around the button jar for many years and finally found a home in this necklace.


Here is some of the detritus of making the charms: more yo yos for another project, beads, eye pins, E6000 glue, tiny pearls, beading thread and more. Aren't those angel beads the cutest? Now to sort and put it all away until the next necklace wants to appear. The necklaces are fun and easy to make. My biggest challenge is kitten Iggy who is entranced by every item in my sewing room. Can you tell that trouble is brewing in the photo below? He's a climber and is resting on the work table just waiting... for something... anything, really. 


Iggy is a Sugarplum of a different sort! And he's the reason we have not yet put up a tree this year. 


Our local library has a lovely tree, however, filled with sugarplums. Merry Christmas!


6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Iggy reminds me of Squiggles, but he is not a climber, unlike your Iggy.

I am in awe of your Christmas necklace. It is beautiful and fun, funky and a bit kitschy, too. I love it.

The Inside Stori said...

Oh my gosh....how very 'charming'.......so festive...

Robbie said...

Nancy, this is a wonderful necklace! What fun!!! I love looking at the pictures and seeing all the do'dads you have used!!!! So cool!!! I'm sure you'll be looking at estate or garage sales for more 'fun' pieces!!

Iggy looks so sweet!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lovely to enjoy the inspiration of the season.
Merry Merry to you ♥

Susi Vroman said...

It looks like so much fun! Hope you wear it to the CRQ Christmas party!

Jan said...

I'll bet you get a lot of comments about this necklace when you wear it! Very festive and detailed. I can tell you had fun coming up with all the elements. It must have been twice as hard to make when Iggy was helping. He's a cutie!