Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

DIY Fabric for Christmas...




What?? There isn't enough fabric in my stash already? Well, there really is, but that doesn't stop me. Our Fiber Art Bee learned a number of surface design techniques during 2018, so it was only natural that we would apply them in our annual Christmas exchange. This year it was 12" squares (or so- we're not sticklers for rules) of fabric we stamped ourselves using found objects and handmade foam stamps. My squares began with rust-dyed fabric, as seen above, or a print from my stash that needed something more.


I made sets of two squares from three different fabrics. We were to make 6 squares, keep one, and swap the rest. This sample was a nondescript light print that soon became light and lively. I stamped with two handmade foam flower stamps, pool cover plastic (better than bubble wrap, I learned in our work sessions, because it is firmer and doesn't deflate), a hotel key card, and corn pad cushions. They make the neatest small ovals and retain their shape while stamping with craft or fabric paint.


This is the dark version of the print above. It almost looked like camo, but it didn't stay that way. All of my squares received the same treatment, but the paint colors changed to keep them visible and contrasting with the background. It was an absorbing project. After show and tell, where we learned how everyone's fabrics were stamped, the anticipation grew. Two of our members retired to another room during the Christmas party and randomly sorted 5 different swap fabrics into numbered piles. We drew numbers and were matched up with our stack of wonderful new fabrics.


I have plans for this piece already. It's done with cardboard tubes in various sizes and bubble wrap on a rayon blend. Very intense!


Gears, foam spirals, stars, cardboard tubes and more went into this piece. Wish I could recall what made that pretty pink waffle grid. 



Lovely colors on this one, and Ginkgo leaves for one of the stamps.


This is a two-fer. Bubble plastic was stamped on top of a layer of tulle over cotton. We can use as is- a two-layer piece, or peel up the tulle which has sparkle and a subtle layer of color dots to use on its own.


Lots of spots! This began with white-on-white polka-dot fabric, and the theme continued. You might think this is the star of the show, but no... look...


If we got this one in our swap pile, we got a whole collection titled Whoooooo. There's a strip stamped with a thread spool end. AND this beautiful owl stamped on black. Such a nice detailed image. That's one area where I need to improve- I often get a partial image. But I'm learning aids to fix that like using batting under the fabric or ironing freezer paper on the back. What will become of these? I can only invite you to stay tuned, because I'm not sure myself.... YET. It's quite delightful to contemplate.




7 comments:

sonja said...

Nancy, you had me at bubble wrap and corn pads...i'm old!
What a fun party that must have been based on the fabric assortment traded, Whoooooo!
A Merry and happy holiday season to you,Sonja

Joansy said...

Nancy, I love your blog! Your creativity is such an inspiration! Thank you so much for leaving me a comment that led me here - I made sure to follow you and can't wait to read about and see more of your projects!

Robbie said...

What a fun exchange!!! And what great fabrics you received! This is such a talented group of women...so wonderful to exchanges ideas and learn from each other as well!!

p.s. We head out in 8 days! Hard to believe!!! Yikes!!! Am I ready emotionally...NO...physically, yes...I'm fine once I arrive...just getting there has me like a kid starting her first day of school! HA

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I laughed at Sonja's comment. I do love your corn pads and those adorable flowers. You got some nice fabrics in exchange, but I think yours and the last exchanged one were my favorites. That's a fun Christmas party and a great way to exchange hand painted fabric, something I would LOVE to do, too.

The Inside Stori said...

What fun seeing the results of your fiber group’s creations and exchange……looking forward to seeing how you use them!

creativelenna said...

Such an inspiring post! It has been some time since I stamped fabric . . . Now I'm thinking about it again. Thanks so much for sharing. ;0)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nancy, I just stopped by to wish you a healthy, safe, and joyful new year for you and your loved ones. I hope you have a fabulous and productive 2019, too.