Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 1, 2018

Now What?!!



Just take a piece of muslin and some dry-wall paste... WHAT?? Yes, that is the formula for making this art book. I made this following along with an online class taught by Donna Downey titled Metamorphosis. And that's how we began. After spreading the paste on both sides of the muslin, it dries with a flexible weightiness to it. And a few wrinkles and cracks which enhance the texture. This book has four sheets, which is to say 8 two-sided pages.





Once dry, the pages are ready for paint, stamping, stenciling, image transfers, and anything else a creative mind can come up with. The neutral, grungy look is intentional. I don't know yet what these pages will house- some type of imagery. But I await the inspiration to continue!



In addition to the binding, which is sari ribbon, the book also got a tassel made with yarn, fiber strips, and rhinestone trim plus sparkly beads. I like a binding that is bushy and full of fiber, inviting touch.




Here's a backpage view. This was so much fun to make, and I've got leftover joint compound, so I know I'll try more journals like this- maybe with printed fabrics and more color. Donna calls this an "ARTbook". I call it a Slap-Journal because the weight of it makes a satisfying slap when the pages are turned or it's set down on a table. At the same time I was working on the journal, I was enrolled in Karen Abend's online Sketchbook Revival. It was a free class featuring a series of video lessons by a variety of artists, from bookmakers to sketch artists to mixed media artists and water colorists. Quite broadening and enlightening. Karen has followed it up with a 30-day creative practice called Find Your Flow in which participants are encouraged to commit to a daily practice for the month of June. 



The look of the journal prompted me to commit to making a layered and stitched fabric and paper collage like this one each day. My plan is that they'll be incorporated into a journal of some sort when the 30 days are completed. Maybe even this journal, though I'm envisioning something else at the moment. But I have lots of time to decide.




I worked on the journal while visiting Disney's Flower & Garden Festival 2018 at Epcot. It was lovely, and I enjoyed the displays and the refreshing foods like this watermelon and lime cooler.



We also visited Animal Kingdom for a day. It was overcast and a little drizzly which brought more animals out during the Safari ride than usual. There were several impressive Silverback Gorillas watching us watching them.


Can you see the lion king and his lady atop this rock pile? Such a fun place to visit.


5 comments:

Jan said...

This is exactly the sort of thing I enjoy making! Did you have to thin down the joint compound before applying it to the fabric? It will be fun to see how you decorate this book further, although it could practically be called done already. Your fiber art a day thing has made a grand start. I am committed to the Index Card A Day (ICAD) challenge that goes for two months. My cards are 4X6 so I can use them as postcards if I want to. It does make for some fun and off the wall cards!
Yes I see the lion and lioness in the picture, what a wonderful space for them to be. Not as good as the real thing, but still, if they have to be kept, this looks like a good place, considering.

Robbie said...

i love all of your journals!This one looks so 'antique' looking!! And you know how much I love antiques! You do such a great job with all journals you are making!

I agree with Jan...both animals look very content...hate seeing them confined and rocking back and forth..you know they are stressed...but both the Lion and Silverback look so content!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh wow, oh wow, Nancy. You have inspired me to make something similar. However, I learned my lesson to NOT add the exterior embellishments until the book is finished. You KNOW I'm going to have to try this, now. After all, imitation is the greatest form of flattery!

Since I'm also doing ICADs (I'll have to check out Jan's blog), I can't commit to the 30 day challenge. But since I DO love to sew, but not anything like a quilt or pillow, I will attempt to make one of those books, too. I'm loving how inspiring you are.

And I want to thank you again for your advice on my thread problem. I now know to check the thread in the bobbin to make sure it's lighter weight than the top thread I'm working on.

creativelenna said...

Nancy, I love both your slap-journal and your layered paper and fabric collage! Both are so interesting & beautiful. Wow! I hope you post more of the daily collages, so inspiring.

creativelenna said...

I just signed up for the Metamorphosis online class! :0)