Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 3, 2018

When Fashion Week Came to Town...





A runway show at an art museum- what could be more fun? Our local Appleton Museum of Art offered several fashion designers the opportunity to create a statement piece and a small collection of garments inspired by one of the art objects in the museum collection. Then, on a warm and pleasant evening, models walked the runway, showing off the work of the designers. This gown, from designer Leeann Kroetsch, is worthy of a one-of-a-kind wedding and was rich with stuffed work and embellishment. 




This headpiece stayed firmly in place, despite a slight breeze blowing, so my hat is off to the model (no pun intended). The Stefania Costanzo gown had an over-skirt of gold strapping and a wide hand-painted flounce. You can see lots more photos by professional photographer Demilio at here at his site.



Julia Chew, the designer, wore her own inspiration garment beautifully. A carved Chinese jade pagoda was the inspiration piece.



All of the fashions were seen in the museum courtyard, and the runway itself went around the circular fountain. It all made for a splendid event.


Fiesta! The vibrant color against black made Hermione Elma's dress an eye-catcher. And it was covered with embellishments, bling, and trinkets which I found appealing. A quote I recently found says "the thing with bling is that the more you have, the more you want." Ain't it the truth?!



Perky, flirty, and colorful, this dress had floral overlays on the bodice and a full skirt of layered circles.



The back interest on this piece was stunning- gold, intricate lacing, and yards upon yards of tulle. I should write runway commentary, right? Seasons of Project Runway have caused me to see details I'd likely miss otherwise.





The fashion show was held in conjunction with this exhibit, which was very well done. No photos allowed as these are items not owned by the museum. As we wandered through the exhibit, the models and designers were standing next to each inspiration piece so show-goers could chat with them. And speaking of Project Runway, Fabio Costa of the recent Runway All-Stars season was scheduled to speak on Sunday about fashion inspiration. However, his flight arrangements from Brazil could not be completed at the last minute, so we missed hearing from him.



But wait, there's more! Jan at Laughing Dog Arts blog surprised me by sending this lacy and layered minibobber just for being a loyal follower of her blog. She posted about these recently, and you can see more here. At first I thought to put it on a journal cover, but now think it will get a pin back and become a wearable. It can go right on my own "accessory wall" (a Project Runway term). The piece began on a base of denim and then went in lots of directions, including some hand embroidered details, buttons, and fabulous frays. Many thanks to Jan. Notice the photo background also- that's the hand-print envelope the gift traveled here in. Lovely, lovely- all of it!


Joining in my recent festivities was none other than Elvis in a 1963 Bonneville! Yes, there has been an Elvis sighting at a local car show and I was able to snap a pic.



6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never watched Project Runway, possibly because I don't even know what channel it's on. You make a good commentator, though.

I wasn't really impressed with the "wedding dress." It didn't look much like a wedding dress to me.

I'm glad you sent a link to the facebook page, even though I was afraid I wouldn't be able to see them. Some of the gowns were a bit over the top, and I didn't quite understand the makeup on the woman with the large hat. The dress and hat were great, but that eye sort of put me off.

My favorite was by Julia Chew. Her dress and makeup were flawless. I was most impressed with her design and her "traditional" hairstyle.

I had to laugh at the dress with the floral overlays. Seems they laid in just the perfect spots!

You certainly got to see a lot of beautiful dresses and designers. It was most impressive, as was the gift you received. I agree that will make a fabulous pin. What happy, happy mail!

Createology said...

Lovely Fashion Show you enjoyed. I really like the green dress and of course the black gown. How sweet of Jan to surprise you with the fun bits. Elvis is forever with us...lol.

Jan said...

Fascinating creations. Scrolling along looking at them, surprised when I see something of mine, ha ha. Who'd have thought, me and Elvis in the same post?!

Robbie said...

So glad you posted the pictures here....easier to see them now!! And what a perfect idea to make into a pin!!!

JaniceMarie said...

Love the layered minibobber. Agree, it should become a wearable!!
Nancy, I really enjoy your blog. You are so creative .

ctnbee said...

Beautiful creations. I like this style. I am happy to look at every project and I take inspiration. Thanks for the great photos! Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. I appreciate your work.