Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

This Quilt Was Fun...







What do you do with accumulated fabric scraps? I cut them into strips and then found Bonnie Hunter's easy tutorial for making Scrappy Trips quilts. After sorting the strips, I kept them in the sewing room and stitched them up in between other projects. Soon there was a nice pile of the blocks, but still no plan for putting them together. But then I pulled this panel from my fabric stash- it's Madonna Lily by Frond Design Studios. The colors in the blocks and in the panel seemed made for each other, and this joyful quilt titled "Our Lady" just invented itself. It took some engineering and there are some missteps in its construction, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. We even have the right wall to hang it on.




The imagery is just beautiful, as you can see in this close-up photo. Frond Design Studios has some very unique fabric and panels available in quilt shops. I found this one while visiting Quilter's Store Sedona a few years ago, and it's been waiting for its turn in a project ever since. The longarm machine quilting was completed by Debra Johnston. Her challenge was to decide how to quilt the center panel and blend in the quilting for the pieced blocks. She used gold thread and swirling designs in the block, contrasted with more straight-line quilting for the image. She did well I think!




This year, while visiting Sedona, I found this four-block "Inner Faith" panel by Robert Kaufman Fabrics at the shop. I'm not sure how I'll use this one, but am thinking the red block may become the label on the back of "Our Lady". So many quilt ideas, so little time! The ideas flow way faster than the execution of them. But we'll see where these wind up.

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh my gosh, Nancy! This piece is beautiful!!!! The panel is wonderful and 'she' did find her home didn't she! It's perfect!!!!! Just beautiful! Nicely done, my friend!

Createology said...

You are wise to acquire special pieces when you find them. Eventually just the right project comes along and this is perfect for Madonna Lily. Your newest panel is also wonderful. The gold thread quilting really enhances your quilt and brings it to life. Quilting Bliss Dear...<3

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm always SO impressed with your use of scraps. I can't believe how much you put into this beautiful quilt. It is a wonderful quilt and you found just the perfect pieces that fit together. I would LOVE to see that quilt in person. It's a show stopper, in my opinion.

Jan said...

What a lovely quilt! And mostly from scraps, great use of those bits. Your center panel is beautiful. I should find someone to quilt my quilts for me, I could make more of them that way. So much fabric, so little time!