Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Stitched and Painted Portfolio…


DSCN4092

Well I’ve found a product that simply combines the best of everything for me. It’s called “canvas paper” and you can use it for both painting and stitching. What a great invention! My introduction to it came through an online class with Roben-Marie Smith titled “Collage, Construct, Affirm”.

DSCN4097

We began by layering and adhering papers on a large sheet of canvas paper, and followed that with paint and various surface designs to create a big, lovely piece of art. Once completed and dried, we cut and stitched the piece into a handy portfolio.

DSCN4093

This is the front side of the portfolio. Very ‘60s-looking, yes? Or even a bit like sidewalk chalk art. It just makes me smile when I look at it.

DSCN4102

Inside there’s room to store whatever items strike my fancy.


DSCN4105

Mine will house coupons and will travel with me in the car. The side pocket of my car is overloaded with flyers and coupons from JoAnn’s; Hobby Lobby; Michaels; Bed, Bath, & Beyond; local restaurants… well, you know. JoAnn’s and BBB seem to be in a competition to see who can send out more flyers and promotions. I think JoAnn’s is winning, but it’s close! At last, now I have a good way to corral those coupons and make the inside of my car a prettier place. I’ll much prefer looking at this colorful mixed media piece as opposed to odd-size papers and circulars. My family will appreciate it, too.


DSCN4103

This is a section of the second piece I made. You can see the papers and images collaged on the canvas paper beneath the paints and the sketchy hearts. Roben-Marie has some other projects in the course, so we'll be using all of our creative pieces.

DSCN4042


DSCN4041Above, top, is a photo of the canvas paper pad which I bought at Hobby Lobby. One side is coated with gesso so it receives the paint and other media well. Once I got a taste of making canvas paper pieces, there was no stopping me! I got out a Gelli Plate (yet another great invention!) and paint, and began this painted patchwork piece, also above. This is only the first layer, and I plan to add more color and some sewing, too. What is it going to be? Ha! That’s like asking a quilter with an arm-load of fabric at the quilt shop what she’s going to use it for. There’s just no answer because the thrill is in the selecting and making. More will be revealed! Meanwhile it’s just so much fun to play with my new favorite "fabric".






10 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've heard of that canvas paper, but never seen it in the stores. You have used it well and wisely. I am in awe of what you made, including the last piece that involves the Gelli plate. I hope to see a completed piece, too.

I had to laugh because I've been asked at JoAnn's what I'm going to do with the fabric I buy. I'm never sure, just knowing I like the discounted fabric for some reason, or I got it at a very, very reduced cost and knew I would use it in the future.

Roben-Marie said...

Your colors are stunning and it turned out beautifully!!!! I appreciate the shout-out and am so glad you enjoyed the workshop!!!!

Robbie said...

I am SO impressed,Nancy!!! Love your designs, colors...everything! Really cool!!!

The Inside Stori said...

Very neat method.....thanks for sharing, esp. about the canvas paper

creativelenna said...

I love canvas paper Nancy, it's been a while since I used it, but I know I still have some. I remember using it for ATCs because of the texture. I Think your portfolio is so fabulous, wonderful job!!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh how cool!!! I just ordered some paper for bookmaking! LOL! Did I mention that in my list? (shakes head)

AppleApricot Wen said...

Wow awesome work! It's beautiful!

Createology said...

This is a fabulous combination of lots of wonderful artsy mediums. Your portfolio is perfect for holding lots of bits and pieces. How fun to learn new techniques in a class. Creative Canvas Bliss...

Sandra Kaye said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! LOVE the colors!!! You did an AWESOME job!!!!!Thanks for stopping by blog:):)

elle said...

What a fantastic project! I suspect the canvas I got is too heavy and now I'll be looking for canvas paper. :)