Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 6, 2014

Fabric or Paper... Paper or Fabric?

Which one will I choose? How about both? That's a satisfying answer, and yet it is the crux of my dilemma! I love both quilting and paper crafts, but each one has its own set of 'stash', specialty tools and supplies. And both need plenty of space to store all that. So I've been sorting through the sewing room, trying (yet again) to manage all the stuff. Note to self: you don't need to buy any more fabric or paper for a long, long time. I put all the notecards and postcards that are "quilty paper" together. These small pieces of art are like a magnet to me. These notecards are from BBD Creations in Vero Beach and I found them at a quilt show some years back.


It's not enough that I purchase fabrics when I visit quilt shows and shops, but the paper arts hold great appeal, too. I purchased the two cards at left, above, when visiting The Stepping Stone Quilters show in Nassau, Bahamas in 2012. They are the work of quilt artist Vee Jenkins. We're going to visit the quilt show again when on a cruise at the end of this month. So more of Vee's beautiful notecards may join the collection. The paper collage card on the right is from The Quilt Shop of Sedona in Arizona, but I don't have the artist's name. Imagine that design in fabric- nice! 


A quilting friend gave  me these notecards from the Heartstring Quilters near Philadelphia. They made a "Forever Yours" quilt commemorating loved ones who passed away after having cancer. They created portrait blocks and assembled the quilt, which was donated to the Breast Imaging Center in their area. But they also had a set of notecards made featuring the entire quilt, and then sections of it. A lovely project.


But look- there's more! The postcards in opposite corners, top left and lower right,  are part of the Amish Seasons collection. I bought them by the handful when in the Lancaster, PA, area. Such inviting images. And at the lower left is a card from one of Susie Riehl's watercolor Amish Quilts paintings. The upper right is a card that features "Star of Bethlehem", ca. 1850, from the Chester County Historical Society in Pennsylvania. So it appears hopeless- I'm an inveterate collector of both paper and fabric. I guess my motto is "anything quilty". Quilty as charged!


6 comments:

Robbie said...

Don't you just love it all!!! I do too!!! This turned out to be a very pretty post to look at!!! So much talent in paper & quilting!

Susan said...

Lovely eye candy. Have a great time on your cruise.

creativelenna said...

Love your dilemma! I am afraid I am in the same boat . . . loving both fabric & paper. I guess we are guilty as charged!

Unknown said...

All absolutely stunning, Nancy. Have a great time cruising - can't wait to hear all about it (with photos of course!) hugs, Donna

sonja said...

fabric or paper? YES! I love both and have joined both up mostly sewn when what they had arty to offer art wise they called to me.like a frothy lace looks like ocean to me and sewn upon paper neat! have a great SEA cruse

John'aLee said...

Oh I so hear you on the space management issue with both sets of crafts. I only got into the paper end of things this last year and I tell you I think it's a breeding ground!
Thanks for stopping in over at my blog. I love finding new people who I can relate to!!