Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 7, 2011

Folio Fun...

Here I go again with sewing notebook covers! This one is a folio that holds a junior-sized legal pad. The Diane Rusin Doran pattern was published in Quilting Arts Gifts issue 2009/2010.



I must have done something wrong, or measured/cut incorrectly though because my legal pad is just a scooch too big for the folio, and my inside pocket is not quite as deep as the one shown in the pattern. Fortunately, Diane suggests covering the top of the pad with matching fabric fused in place. That seems to help disguise the size difference pretty well. I'm going to make another one and figure out where I went wrong. What's a scooch you ask? Just a small fractional measure. Sooo close... but not quite right.




I like how the flap is attached to the folio. It's made separately, then fused using a narrow strip of webbing, and top-stitched in place. I added a couched yarn at the join. Small projects like this one are quick and fun, plus it's a great way to wallow in the fabric scraps that pile up and use the decorative stitches on my machine.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Yum ... Just love all of them. Beauty and function meet in your capable hands. Hard to choose, however I think my fave is the first one. The colours really appeal to me and you have put them together so beautifully. Take care. :o) Donna

Nancy said...

Nancy, these are beautiful...I like them so much I have ordered the class. Thanks for the inspiration....Great Job

Robbie said...

NICE job, Nancy! You could go on and on making these for all your note books!!

Diane Doran said...

Hi Nancy, beautiful job on the notebook covers! When I make them, I place my notepad inside the main body to test how much to turn the pocket up, just to make sure that the top of my notebook is covered by the flaps. I've found that the notepads can vary a little in size, even between ones that are packaged together. I love your fabric choices.

creativelenna said...

I like this so much, nancy! I was just enjoying again the "in the pink" book you made for the swap that I sneakily traded for my own swap . .. this reminds me a little of that. Lovely fabrics in both cases.