Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ain't she sweet....




Look what happens when the sewing room gets a clean-out. I came across the pattern for this little doll while going through my pattern file. I've kept the pattern, and kept it, and kept it some more. It's dated Mary's Patterns, 1991, so after 20 years, it seemed time to finally make one of these!

Because I collect vintage textiles, there are a few pretty hankies in the mix. They're perfect to make the pinafore the floral fairy doll wears, like the one Angelica (that's her name) is modeling above. I decided against the wings, for now at least. She needs some beading at the neckline, so that's on the to-do list. The tiny rose is pinned on for the moment. How come the things I make are so often not quite "done"?



Also, Angelica needs more blush. You can hardly see that she's wearing any, which is my style. But not hers. So I'm going to have to buy make up for her. Unless you have any thoughts on what else might pink up her cheeks a bit more. Since she has no features other than eyes, her cheeks are quite important. Maybe colored pencil?



I've got more hankies, so Angelica may get some friends. She'd like that. Then the pattern will go back in the file so I can keep it, and keep it, and keep it some more.

3 comments:

sonja said...

colored pencils work great, i have some prismacolors in a henna shade,from dick blick, that do a fine job.i use the side of point or dull end to shade .pratctice on paper first

Unknown said...

She is gorgeous Nancy. Love the vintage hankies - such a great idea. I think friends for her would be fabulous .. she definitely would like that a lot! I'd love to know what you end up using on her cheeks - just for future reference. Thanks. Donna

Robbie said...

Watercolor pencils would be perfect. A light coat then smooth with a brush that is barely wet. Practice on some fabric first to get the feel. Or just use the pencil without water. She's adorable