Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2011

Is There An Award for the Most Projects Underway?


Because if there is, I might be a contender. I'm getting packed up for a quilting retreat with my guild. One of the things I love about quilt retreat is that it forces me to look at all the projects I've started, and decide which ones will get some focused effort poured into them during the three days. And one of the things I don't like about quilt retreat is that it forces me to look at all the projects I've started! There are many. So here's some of what I'm taking along:


1) the flowers on the black & white quilt above need to be thread painted.



2) these Plate blocks need to be machine quilted in preparation for joining in a quilt-as-you-go method. Meanwhile I got some free-motion practice in the centers, using fill patterns from Leah Day's Free Motion Quilting blog. I was given some pieced fan units made by a freind's mother long ago. They had to find a home, so I joined the units in color families to make the blocks. I love the old fabrics.. such fun to look at and study.




3) the redwork (a long-term handwork project still a ways from completion) will require Flying Geese units and pieced blocks for the borders and setting, so I'll work on them.



4) I'm going to see how well all of the green fabrics in my stash can play together. My goal is to reduce the many fabrics I have by cutting them into strips and making donation quilts. Our guild is very active in making donation quilts... there is a great need. So this will make good use for the fabrics I've accumulated. I hope to make one from each color family.


Plus, there is binding to stitch; Home of the Brave blocks to piece; and lots more. It's always inspiring to have three days of concentrated work on quilts with other quilters. Our meals are prepared for us. Nothing to do but sew! That's not so hard to do.

2 comments:

Robbie said...

Well, have a great time!! And make sure to post pictures of all those projects you finish! Have fun!! Enjoy!!! We leave on the 16th! Boo hoo!!! Hate leaving but do miss the grand kids and my own kids!!

Zaa said...

Sew sew sew.... Have fun fun fun...at the retreat.... Quilting is definately an art ...Your works are fabulous and I particularly love your Redwork... Take lots of pictures ... and please share( ha Ha) Thanks for visiting my blog my Friend.. Big Hugs