Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bird Envy...




How cute are these fancy birds? I loved them the minute I saw them, and of course immediately wanted to make one. Barbara, who attends our weekly quilting and crafting group, made the stylish felt ornaments some time back. She's supposed to make lots more but her sewing machine belt broke, so she brought them to the group to see about getting them stitched on our community machine. When that didn't work out so well (the machine gobbled up the narrow beaks), I offered to bring them home and stitch them for her on my machine. I figured it would give me a chance to study and enjoy them, and it might cure me of feeling the need to make one myself. And it worked... it didn't take long at all to stitch the shapes and now I don't need to make one. Just having them visit my sewing room was enough. Plus working on my own machine, with the needle-down feature and better stitch control, the bird beaks made it through just fine. Could this be the cure for UFOs? Just have an admired quilt or project visit in my sewing room for a few days, and I won't need to start one of my own? Nah. It couldn't be that simple.








Below are are a few of the bird bodies stitched and stuffed. You can see they're just simple shapes. All the pizzazz comes from the added beading, sequins, detail features, and embroidery. I've finished almost all of them, and returned them to Barbara to get started on embellishing. The flock has flown home now. Bye-bye birdie!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes they are adorable! So colorful and cheerful~

Nancy said...

They are so cute........you were sweet to sew them for her.....