Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 26, 2010

Small things.. ATCs


I'm a member of Mixed Mania, a book study group on Yahoo. It's a stretch for me, as sewing and quilting are my comfort zone, and mixed media is outside it. I'm intrigued by mixed media though. I have a toe in the water so to speak, and am trying out various projects as we go.

One swap I've joined is that of exchanging Artist Trading Cards, or ATCs as they're called. These little bits of art (they're 2 1/2" x 3 1/2") can be made from lots of different materials such as fabric, paper, or a combination. Mine are fabric, of course... remember, just a toe in the water so far. They're made on a base of Peltex which is a firm fusible interfacing. They're pieced from fabric strips and then surface stitched with a variety of machine stitches. Once that base was completed, I added different elements to each of them using fabric paints, stamps, small appliques, fabric paper pieces, buttons, and beads. The edges of some are finished with stitched on texture yarn, and others with twisted embroidery floss.

We're making these in sets of five, and can make up to five sets. "Toe in the water" dictates that I'm making just one set for now. But I enjoyed working in the small area, and eventually I'll make more.



6 comments:

Kristi Wodek said...

ohhhhh. I love your ATC's! I will be hoping I get one of yours. I am going to mail mine today. It is always exciting to get a swap in the mail. I enjoyed working on the small scale.

Susan said...

Hope I get one of yours! Good work.

Jan said...

Your ATC's are wonderful and if I receive one of yours I won't be disappointed in the least! I used to be mainly a quilter too, then a year or so I dipped a toe into the water of mixed media and slowly I have moved more in that direction and it is lots of fun. Now I have all this fabric I barely touch any more. I believe I need to do as you do and start making more donation quilts. I really enjoyed looking at your blog, you do some nice work.

Nancy said...

Thanks to all for your comments. Swaps are such fun. Always exciting to see the mail! This book study is a very positive thing.

Lee said...

I think I now know where I get my creative side from! For those reading this that don't know - I'm Nancy's son. I've always considered myself a creative person - but growing up never could quite figure out where that streak came from (sorry Mom). Now I get it!

These are very nice! I was also sort of wondering if there might be a way to sew a backer onto one of them (on 3 sides) and sort of create a one of a kind business card holder out of it. I keep business cards with me at all times (Carin absolutely loves it when I forget to take them out of my pocket and she runs them through the washing machine) and I'd love to have something to keep them in. But just buying a standard business card holder off the shelf at Staples somehow says ... BORING! What do you think?

Nancy said...

Good concept. I can sure give it a try. They are just about the right size. And there is a liner that gives some stability to the ATC. I'll experiment and keep you posted.