Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Facing the Year...





Our Fiber Art Bee had a painting party for our January meeting. The goal was to paint a face on canvas or other fabric and then use it in a project. We were all pretty intimidated since few of us felt confident about painting a face. But we persevered. Here's my whimsy face all painted and embellished with free-motion stitching. It was great fun and we all enjoyed stretching ourselves creatively in a new year.



I brought a stretched canvas to work on because I thought the taut surface might be easier to paint on that fabric that wants to wiggle around. Also, it had gesso on it already which made it helpful when painting. And canvases were on half-price sale to boot. Simple shapes- that was how we were instructed to begin. And we lightly sketched our faces with pencil first and then came in with paint.



She's progressing with her vintage-style rolled hairdo. My plan was to complete painting on the canvas, then cut it from the frame for the next step. 


Her next step is to become a notebook cover. Quite a few of my small projects become tote bags, notebooks and journals. I might as well make something useful with these experiments!


Painting faces is a messy business as you can see from our instructor's table. All of our work areas looked like this. She had several samples to share with us for inspiration and we will have our big "reveal" at next months meeting. I'm sure I can't make just one- more faces coming soon!


This is one of our instructor's samples. She incorporates her expressive faces into tote bags.

 

4 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

A sweet face. So cool that you make something with it to enjoy

sonja said...

your blond is so pensive looking. what fun!!
quilting my paintings is/has been a life for me starting with simple flowers. painting on fabric is a learning trip with surprises, many! as you well know, you learn as you go. each step leads to next decision, problem solved or worked around . guess i really enjoy process.
my happy zone is following the what if of work in motion!

I enjoy seeing yours and your fabric group make and share fabric projects.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I LOVE your whimsical face and think it will go great on a journal cover. You certainly know how to stretch your creativity.

Robbie said...

Your portrait turned out great! She reminds me of a 'gal' from back in the 40's or 50's! She's wonderful! I thought you'd be quilting it and I couldn't imagine how you would on canvas. She'll make something fun and can't wait to see how you use her!