Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 4, 2022

Burnin' Daylight...

 


Our neighbor is a cowboy who turned 80 years old recently. He had a bad horse accident a few years ago, but he's back in the saddle now. He's also a big John Wayne fan. So when I saw this Riley Blake panel I knew it would make a wonderful quilt project for his birthday. There just happened to be a set of Log Cabin quilt blocks in my quilt closet that I thought would enhance the rich colors in the panel. So really, the quilt came together quickly and easily. That was a good thing, too, because his daughter mailed us an invitation to a surprise birthday party for him. She did a great job, because he really was surprised!




Longarm quilter Debra Johnston chose what I thought was an interesting and effective quilting motif to use as she finished the quilt before I bound and labeled it. A friend from guild told me that the backdrop for this image is Monument Valley where a number of John Wayne westerns were filmed. Burnin' Daylight was one of the best-known John Wayne (The Duke) quotes according to an internet search. Well, it was a super-simple quilt project, but our cowboy friend is very, very happy with his quilt!

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a gem. What a surprise. What a wonderful project that came together for you, but would have taken me 12 years to make. Just beautiful, Nancy. The long arm quilter did a nice job, too.

Julierose said...

I just love how you set those log cabin blocks to surround Ye Old Cowboy!! Really a wonderful finish...hugs, Julierose

sonja said...

What a thoughtful and wonderful surprise for a horseman of golden years!
I really liked the log cabin blocks waiting until you corralled them for this great project, a very kind gift!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Quilts for gifts are so special. Well done

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh my! This little quilt is just too, too perfect for your friend! I can't imagine he liked any other gift better than this one. You're such a sweet person to take the time to pull the panel and blocks together, and have it quilted, in time for the surprise party. Wow! It was meant to be, right? Good for you!

The Inside Stori said...

WOW…..fantastic……a real gift from your warm and generous heart. Absolutely love the quilt!!!!

Robbie said...

Oh my gosh! This is wonderful, Nancy!!!! the log cabin blocks do add some much to the quilt as does the quilting...just wonderful!!!!!