Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 5, 2021

And a Cherry on Top...

 


Here's a new use for an old-fashioned glass sundae dish. I was invited to fill the dish with a pincushion that would hint at an ice cream sundae. The coordinators of the raffle baskets at our recent quilt show assembled many wonderful baskets built around a theme. They received the dish as a donation and wanted to fill it sewing style. So this is what I came up with. The bottom is weighted with glass pebbles and the whole thing is topped off with a fancy beaded stick pin. 



The daughter of a guild member saw the pincushion and asked if I could make some to sell. I don't often sell things I've made... I am really stumped when it comes to putting a price on them. But she was so delighted with the pincushion that I told her I'd get started. I am awaiting the glassware for them. She has since found two sundae dishes in a thrift shop, and by chance I began by stitching these two. So when all the parts get together, the job will be completed. They look a little like giant stuffed yo-yos. One small template, shown at left, is the only pattern piece required. Eight of these wedges cut from assorted fabrics for each pincushion are stitched together, stuffed, and then embellished with embroidery floss and a T-shirt beaded ball or other topper. The idea came from "Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts" by Joelle Hoverson. It makes a unique and fun gift I'm thinking.

4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Very well done, Nancy. This is an excellent job and you are certainly meeting it head on. Have you decided what to charge? I've been told it's the number of hours, plus the materials, then add your wage. I find that hard, so I suggest you should go on Etsy and see what others are getting for something similar. I think this is going to be a great seller.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the comment on my soap making post, Nancy. Yes, you are right. It takes four to six weeks for the saponification process to take place. I didn't take any chances and let it sit the full six weeks. I got tired of turning it every two days, though.

The Inside Stori said...

Oh my gosh….these are sooooo cute!!!

FlourishingPalms said...

Your sundae pin cushion is adorable! How nice that someone liked it enough to commission some. Did you see the sundae pin cushion I received last month? It looks so much like an ice cream sundae that every time I look at it, I have a strong urge for ice cream! The gal who made mine made about 35 of them! How generous, right?! She gave them as party favors to members of Big Cypress Quilters who came to celebrate our chapter's birthday. They're such a cute item, and a great way to use old glassware.