Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 1, 2021

Greetings!

 


Making this spring-like fiber postcard for a swap reminded me that I've done quite a few of these cards in the past, and it's time to get out the supplies to make more! They are a good repository for scraps plus a place to try out some different techniques. I love the butterfly print fabric that became a focal point in this piece.


The postcards can go through the mail, though may require extra postage or hand cancelling at the post office. I used a rubber stamp to create the postcard back. The Pentel gel pen for fabric is a permanent pen that worked nicely for the message. Unfortunately, these are hard to find. I'm not even sure they are manufactured anymore. 


Fusible applied to the back of fabric scraps are then collaged onto the liner, which is Peltex cut to size. Simple bits make a pretty collage design. Then I added some machine decorative stitches, layered the postcard front with the back and finished the edge with a machine satin stitch.



This postcard is one I received in a previous swap and was made by Sarah Boblit. So much handwork on this one! I like how Sarah used a raw-edge binding hand stitched in place. It's just full of texture. And she used cardstock for the back address and message area. She titled it "A Summer's Day in August."


Seed beads and French knots combine to form the large flower center. Postcards can be small yet densely rich in details like this.


And here's another flower center packed with French knots. Sarah clearly spent a lot of time making her postcard.



I used a watercolor on fabric technique to make this image with details added in Micron pen. It was a new method for me at the time, and making something small really suited the learning curve. This one has rat-tail cord couched along the edge to finish it.


And this postcard was a good place to practice Zentangles on fabric along with machine quilting. Again, this one has a close zig-zag stitch edging. I've got some Peltex all cut and ready to make some more fabric greetings. Quick, easy (as easy as you want them to be anyway), and fun!



15 comments:

christal said...

So pretty! All of it.

Donna said...

Oh this is so pretty! I love to use my fabric scraps in new ways, and this looks so scrummy I shall have to give it a try!

Kim Pay said...

These are great little works of art. Might be a fun way to introduce the use of fabric into a collage.

Effy said...

These are all JUST GORGEOUS!!

Judith said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!

Morgaine Pendragon said...

Such beautiful postcards!! I do love the butterfly one, it's so colorful! And the one with door, I love that one too.

Amy Sorensen said...

Wow. Those are gorgeous!

Mary said...

What beautiful quilted postcards! These are wonderful.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Really lovely. Lucky people who get these

Unknown said...

These are very beautiful!

Angela said...

Oh my, how great are they! Beautiful and very creative.
xoxo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've never heard of the Pentel marker. Too bad they may not be made anymore. The postcard below the pen used variegated thread in the satin stitch unlike any other I have seen before. All are simply stunning.

The Inside Stori said...

So very, very inspirational!!!!

FlourishingPalms said...

Great minds think alike! I haven't made a fabric postcard in years, and just made one this past week for a birthday card. I took it to a post office to mail it, and the postal worker looked at it oddly - pushing it through a template slot to see if it fit, and measuring it once, and then again - before sticking a 36-cent stamp on it. Your postcards are so nice! Such pretty designs. I'm wondering though what you use for the writing side. I used a fusible web to adhere white fabric to the writing side. It was a little difficult to write on, but I did with a Gelly Roll pen. Now I'm wondering if that postage stamp will remain adhered to the fabric. I'd love to know your thoughts.

Robbie said...

What lovely fiber cards!!!! Yours and those from a swap! Very, very nice! They are fun to send and to receive. I haven't been on to read blogs of late...I'll be sending email to let you know why. Take care!