Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 2, 2020

On Needles and Pins...

 


One thing about an interest in sewing is that I've also developed an interest in sewing notions and tools. Pin cushions are included in that interest. Many of you are likely familiar with the traditional red tomato pin cushion, many of which have an emery-filled strawberry attached to keep needles sharp. But there are many other novel and stylish pin cushions as well. Our guild recently held a Zoom program on making pin cushions, and I participated by showing some of the ones I've made. A lot of mine start with a common household container and are based on the simple stitched yo-yo. The one shown above is a Dollar Tree stemmed cordial glass filled with floral stone for weight. The pin cushion itself is a yo-yo made from cotton knit, stuffed with fiber fill and wrapped with floss. I used E600 glue to adhere the yo-yo permanently into the glass. Just a pretty bauble with a handy function.


This one is teeny, tiny. It's a vintage salt cellar with a cotton yo-yo stuffed and adhered inside. I'm a fan of the idea that a pin cushion should sport some fancy jewelry, too. While it can hold lots of pins and needles, the addition of a little bling just dresses things up. I use long corsage pins from the floral department, coat the shaft with a bit of E6000 and slide on various beads. Letting the piece dry with the beads below the pin point helps to avoid shifting. To accomplish this, I stick the  beaded pin into a piece of styrofoam, beads down until the glue is dry.



I found this vintage swan in a thrift shop for change. I think it was originally a ring or jewelry holder. So I filled the open area by gluing a small bit of styrofoam at the bottom. That provided lift for the cotton yo-yo which is glued on top. 

And a glass Dollar Tree toothpick holder became the base for this pin cushion. These are so easy and fun to make. Several of these little treasures will be donated to The Shoppe which will be the gift shop at Country Road Quilters' upcoming 20201 quilt guild show in Ocala next November. The show was rescheduled from 2020, so we have lots of time to fill The Shoppe with little pretties for show-goers to peruse. And you might want to check out the 2021 opportunity quilt Anniversary Crown at the guild website.

5 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

So cool. I can't decide if I love your pincushions more or the amazing pins!

The Inside Stori said...

Oh Nancy, these are so charming!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You have created some real gems. I especially liked the salt cellar. I have several of those. But what I enjoyed the most were the pins you created. I have a TON of those corsage pins from when I made corsages. I was so impressed with the beaded pieces you shared. I'm off to find some beads and work my E6000 magic, too! Thanks for the inspiration.

Robbie said...

Oh my gosh...these are ADORABLE!!!!! How clever and unique each is!!!! I haven't posted on my blog of late but I am going to link your post. I know my readers would enjoy seeing these!!! Great idea for Christmas stocking stuffer for those quilt friends!!

FlourishingPalms said...

How charming! It's so nice that you were able to give a little program about these adorable pin cushions. My favorites are the low-squatting ones, like the salt cellars. The cut glass gives a extra, nice texture effect. It's interesting to know how you make and add the decorative pins too. How lovely that they'll be donated to sell in your quilt guild's Shoppe. I'm sure they will all sell. By next November, quilters will be jonesing to spend money at public events!