Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 23, 2020

Stuck in a Corner...


While cleaning and organizing in the sewing room, I found one corner that I couldn't get past without getting busy on a couple of projects awaiting me there. One project I'd been wanting to get to is this journal cover using a piece of original owl fabric made by Celeste Beck of Goatfeathers Studio. I received it as part of our Fiber Art Bee swap of hand-painted or stamped fabric pieces. I love the imagery and wanted to feature it on a cover.


There are a couple of coordinating pieces she made to go with the owl-one is on the back (shown below) and another  may become a pocket inside. Adding the embellishments was a fun task. I still need to decide what type of pages will get bound inside, but at least the cover is now ready for use.






Waiting in that same corner was this little wooden tray. One of our Country Road Quilters members demonstrated how to make these with our favorite quilting fabrics lining the bottom on a recent Zoom meeting (take a look at the guild's beautiful opportunity quilt at the link above- we won't be having our planned quilt show this year so the quilt can be seen there). I can see I don't have such a steady hand while painting so this will need a little touch-up before getting its final coat of polyurethane finish. It's just right for trinkets or small sewing supplies.


 

And look who else was awaiting me in the corner! This fleece cutie just needed his features and some stuffing to take him over the finish line. He's ready to share his love with someone. And I think I'll be stuck in this corner for awhile because there are several more project to share with you once they are done. 

10 comments:

Florida Farm Girl said...

Lovely projects! I really like the use of that ticking fabric with the owl. Its perfect. And that little bear is just right for cuddling.

Janice said...

Wow, great owl fabric. We have owls in our woods, and I love it when they stay perched and watch us. I'm going to make a few trays for Christmas gifts. Yours looks so pretty. Snuggly bear needs hugs.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

The lady who runs Friday Smiles makes and sells these bears. She calls them Memory Bears because the person buying the bear supplies the fabric for the bear. Personally, I love your bear. It is adorable. Do you have the approximate size? I think I like the stuffing better in yours.

I especially like the journal cover. I like the limited color scheme to go with the owl and that red fabric on the outside that looks hand dyed is awesome.

I look forward to seeing what else is in your corner you can't seem to get past.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What I meant to say about the memory bear is I like how you stuffed yours better. Here's her latest bear. It's the second photo, so you don't have to scroll far.

https://wipso-astitchintime.blogspot.com/2020/08/woyww.html

Maybe you can see what the difference is from the stuffing. Seems like her bears are "hippier," if that's a word.

Celeste said...

Just love what you have done with the owl.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love seeing the different projects taking your attention. That journal cover looks very inviting.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for explaining the difference in the bears. I don't think Annie's are as large/tall as your bear and I really like yours much better. That added dart must make a big difference.

The Inside Stori said...

Great finds and great inspirations!

FlourishingPalms said...

You make me smile, as I love the mental imagery of you in a corner, stuck there, picking out all the UFOs and WIPs you have to work on. What a variety! Your trinket box is nice, and useful. Is that a decoupage sort of thing? I'm glad your guild is meeting via Zoom. I have already heard of more than one guild that hasn't embraced social media gathering, that's folding. Your bear is adorable! It will make some child happy, especially one who loves purple. It's fun seeing your makes.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Fun projects! Fun finishes! I wonder what else you'll find in that jewel of a corner!