Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 24, 2020

A Bad Hair Day?





Do you think this angel is having one? I believe lots of us are having bad hair days since this pandemic began! And an angel is welcome here, hair issues not withstood. She's a fun one that began as a little kit given to the Fiber Art Bee members by Celeste Beck of Goatfeathers Studio. Inside the kit we had a pattern and some metal tape for the wings. There was also a face, but I decided to paint one on muslin to use for this project. The angel has a fabric-paper dress and lots of embellishments, many of which came from our free table where we share leftover bits and pieces. She's about 10" tall, and watches over the proceedings in the sewing room.



I haven't been sewing quilts much of late because I've been doing a big clean out of the sewing room. Of course, as I clean, I also find projects set aside for "someday". Someday seems to have arrived, so I take a break from the cleaning and make a little something. This Ohio Star ornament is stitched with embroidery floss on gold perforated paper. There's enough perforated paper to make several more. 



And for another break in the cleaning action, I've enrolled in two online classes taught by Joanne Sharpe- Art Sparks 1: Watercolor and Words, and Art Sparks 2: Color, Collage, and Concertina. I've never gotten on well with watercolors, though I keep on trying. But somehow, Joanne's style of loose painting combined with lettering is a process that works for me. These are a few of the "sparks" painted and collected to use in a small concertina book. It's great fun, and Joanne offers her classes for "a teeny, tiny price". You can follow this link to her site and see a couple of preview videos. I'll share the books when I'm further along in the class. And now for some more cleaning out. It's mind-boggling the things that accumulate over the years!


7 comments:

Celeste said...

Great projects one and all. so glad the little angel has a new home. I must take lessons from you to start the little projects also.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love the angel. She is a beauty and it's a great way to use up some of your scraps, too. Or did all those fabrics come in the kit? Such a sweet face and you did a great job creating it.

I'm at a loss. I've never heard of perforated paper before. I'll have to look it up on the internet.

So glad you like those classes. You have already accumulated several beautiful pieces you can incorporate in your collages. You have apparently mastered watercolors, because these look great.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It took me awhile, but I finally GOT it. I'm so dense at times. The colors are threads. DUH!!! The gold is the perforations.

FlourishingPalms said...

Love hearing about a good clean-out! Isn't that a great feeling? And as you go along you make, and then have more to clean out. Sounds like the perfect plan for pandemic days. Your angel is cute. The only difference between us is that my hair is a shorter version of that fuzzy mess! Once again we're putting off haircuts here, and I've begun snipping here and there myself. Oh dear!

I remember making perforated paper items. They often look good on a Christmas tree.

The Inside Stori said...

Fun to see how you are keeping busy…...

Lynette (NZ) said...

Your angel is very cool and it's really nice to see your bits for Joanne's classes. Looking forward to seeing your books

Robbie said...

I love your angel and her hair looks great!!!! I'm enlarging to see what you made it out of! Look forward to what you create and learn from your online classes. I'm too chicken to even take a watercolor class! HA