Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Be Still My Heart...




Hearts- apparently a theme for me. I began this heart needlework piece years ago and it just sat, unfinished, in my sewing room. I'd come across it, think I needed to do something with it, and set it aside again. Well at last the heart has come into its own. I finished it in time for Valentine's Day! All those lace, silk ribbon, button trims- finally see the light of day.


I turned the heart into a stuffed hanging door accent by stitching on some silk ribbon-yarn ties. Now I can look at it an enjoy it on a daily basis.


Hearts are a tricky shape when it comes to stuffing them and keeping a smooth edge. My method to overcome the challenge is to completely stitch around the heart shape with the backing, right sides together and leaving no opening for turning. Then I slice the backing and turn the heart right side out through it. And I add the poly-fill stuffing through the slit. That allows me to push the stuffing up against the seamlines all the way around, while trying to smooth the edges as best I can. Once that's done, I hand stitch the opening closed in the back and add another heart shape to cover it. I used double-stick fusible to the second heart shape and stitched on beads to edge it. Now the back looks presentable again.


Here's another hand- and machine-stitched heart ornament made some years ago. It was shown in Piecework Magazine in response to a call for readers to submit entries.


I used the same method to cover the opening in the backing.


And the third heart is one I showed recently on the blog, but it seemed to be a good time to add it to the mix. I do love the Crazy Quilt style. More than two of anything is a "collection" I'm told. So here is my heart collection!

5 comments:

Robbie said...

WOW...I love them all, Nancy!!!! And now you'll get to appreciate your curren heart with the hanging system. Were do you have the other ones?? They need to be out where you can see them. I really like the colors/crazy quilting style on that last one!!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

These are incredible, Nancy. I'm super impressed and love the Crazy Quilt style you employed. However, I was even more impressed with how you treat the stuffing. That is definitely genius. Needless to say, I adore your "collection." I suspect there will be more in the future, too.

The Inside Stori said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!

sonja said...

Nancy, your hearts of fabrics and other trims, remind me of the Victorian era and are delicious eye candy !
thank you for sharing this collection today.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lovely hearts and great idea to stuff them! Happy heart weekend xo