Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 13, 2019

A Little Heap 'O History...






Oh, it might not look like much now, but just wait! This sweet Dresden Plate quilt top was a freebie offered at our Florida Quilt Study Group meeting held at Miss D's Quilt Shop in Palatka. I love the Dresden Plate pattern, so I knew this uniquely made one had to come home with me. It's rough and could use a bath, but I have plans for it.



While quilters love to debate whether to clean an antique quilt or not, I'm always ready to risk giving them a bath. Noted quilt appraiser and quilt historian Brenda Grampsas was at our meeting to present her Rubba Dub Dub! lecture on how to clean and brighten old quilts safely and economically. She had a laundry basket of tips and tricks along with recipes for making our own cleaning products. Very helpful info! And Brenda is the donor of my quilt top, so her expertise will help me bring new life to it.



She and our leader, quilt historian and collector Kathy Metalica Cray, showed some quilts that Brenda had worked her magic on, and the results were impressive. This applique wreath quilt had one stubborn stain (upper left) that would not disappear, but it was considerably lightened, while others were removed. The quilt on the table belongs to member Debra Johnston who displayed it as part of Brenda's lecture. Debra followed Brenda's tips and her Courthouse Steps quilt looks freshened up and way cleaner than it was.


And this Dresden Plate quilt was one of a pair that Brenda cleaned and brightened with no ill effects on the old textiles. Lovely!


Here we are- some of the members of Florida Quilt Study Group. Vintage quilt fans, one and all. Photo credit to Brenda's husband John Grampsas. Well done getting a large group all in the photo!





While walking to the quilt shop from my parking spot, I saw this interesting mural and recognized the depiction of Billy Graham. I walked over to read the info badge at the side to find out his connection to Palatka and Putnam County. There was a scan icon to use with a phone camera, which I did. It took me to a site with a narrator who explained his time spent in the early years in the area. So interesting, and this is just one of many murals on buildings throughout the city. I'll visit more of them on upcoming meeting dates. A location map is provided at the website, too.




I enjoyed my lunch in the park along the beautiful St. John's River that served as an historically important transportation "highway" as well as recreational boating and fishing destination. What an enjoyable and history-filled day!





4 comments:

Robbie said...

I've always been afraid of 'cleaning' older quilts! Wish she had a book or lived closer to us. I know two of the quilts guilds would really enjoy her lecture! Can't wait to see what you do with your Dresden Plate quilt!

Lynette (NZ) said...

That Dresden plate is so pretty. LOVE the photo of the river. Gorgeous blue skies - we are starting to get more of them now it's Spring here

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You lucked out when you brought that incredible quilt home. It looks quite old, at least from the fabric. I have a quilt my grandmother made me that I want to clean, but I worry because I didn't know how to care for it properly when I was young (like wrap it in tissue paper, etc.) I even used it on my bed for several years, too. Once I spilled paint on it. I feel bad that I did that with little regard to how much it means to me now. I bet Brenda was a wealth of knowledge.

What an incredible mural. I've never heard of having a way to learn about the mural. Very unique.

You found a lovely place to lunch, too. I'd say it was an incredible day, Nancy.

The Inside Stori said...

I had to read this post twice there was so much to enjoy……special great news about your Dresden Plate quilt….congrats.