Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Meanwhile in Other News...





Our local art museum- The Appleton Museum- held a journal making class recently. It was titled "Up-cycled Junk Journal," and we began by choosing a discarded art book to alter into a journal. All of the materials were supplied for us, though I used my ample stash of trims and  embellishments to finish the journal at home. The map canvas-fabric I chose for the cover base was a popular selection among the students. It's quite unique.



Rolls of this sticky-back pattern paper were perfect for the inside covers. It was almost like Contact Paper, but not as gummy and unmanageable. 



I think every journal deserves its own jewelry, so I made this charm which I'll add to the spine eventually. I tried to echo the colors from the map fabric in it.


Here's my work station at the museum's classroom. We used PVA glue spread with a craft stick to adhere the fabric to the discarded book.



My neighbor at the work table also chose the map fabric. But look at the photo frame she painted to add to the cover. It will create a shadow box in which she can create a 3-D focal piece. Clever idea!



Our instructor had the space well organized and supplied for everything we needed for journal making. You can see a few sample journals she shared on the front table.


What will happen inside the journal remains to be seen. But we were given some beautiful art auction magazines to harvest for images. I'm enjoying just looking through them for now. The fashion one has some wonderful women's "society portraits". I'm sure these will be very lovely and useful in upcoming journals.


8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now you make me want to use one of my art books I bought at WAM a couple of years ago and turn it into a place to create my art. Do you know how to attach your charm to the book? If not, I can tell you (or show) how, since I have several examples in a couple of my completed altered books. You have truly inspired me AGAIN. That's my problem every time I visit you (grin).

I just finished using some cheesecloth in another project, so I am in love with your cover. It's beautiful. I always suggest the LAST thing you do in an altered book is create your cover. I guess I'm messier than you will be, though. I look forward to how you alter this book, so I will be even more inspired!!! Great cover, dear Nancy.

Celeste said...

You are just great in telling “the story”. I felt like I was there in class. Thank you.

merriberri said...

Fabulous step by step details of your journal adventure - you did a great job! Please bring to FAB.

Robbie said...

I love the Appleton and this journal class was right up your alley! Yea for you!!!! Love seeing this post and all of your journals!!!!

The Inside Stori said...

Great fun!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw your comment about looking for how to add the charms to the book page. Imagine my surprise when none of the photos showed up. I no longer have the off site storage, so none of the photos were available. After a bit of digging, I finally found what I was looking for. I have now added all the photos to this lesson.

https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2012/10/lesson-19-bringing-it-all-together.html

Adding the charm is about half way through the lesson. Be aware, there is a turquoise zipper showing on one of the pages, which confused even ME at first. Ignore the zipper and I hope you can understand what I did. If not, feel free to ask. I'm always available for answers. And if I don't have them, I'll try to figure out how to give them to you.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nancy, just saw your comment. No need to bookmark it, because the link is available on my right sidebar under Lesson 19. Because I was looking for it, and saw there were no photos showing, I am now going back and adding photos to all the other blog posts, too. Not sure if I should thank you (grin), but I do thank you for seeing how many photos are missing, but are thankfully still on my computer.

Powdered Toast Man said...

Were you given adult of kids scissors?

new follower.