Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 21, 2019

Let's Go to the Expo...




 The Sew Expo that is. The formal name is Original Sewing & Quilt Expo and it's an annual convention held at a number of cities throughout the United States. I attended the one at Lakeland, Florida, recently and it was a feast of everything needlework. There were quilts on exhibit, like this one by Mary Kerr titled "Dry Tortugas National Park." One whole quilt gallery was devoted to Inspired by National Parks challenge quilts.



 I was taken by "Nine-Banded Armadillo" by Maggie Ward, representing the Everglades National Park. What a great use of lace and trims.



 This whimsical "Porcupine" quilt, made by Sandy Kretzer, has a body made from a stitched web of fabric snippets and over-stitching. It reflects fauna of Lassen Volcanic National Park in California.


And for even more whimsy, there was a display of Bake Off Quilt Challenge entries. This is "Sunday Afternoon Coffee" by Renate Diedrick.


Intense painted colors make "Meringue Pie" by Karen Crocker very striking.


And there was this showstopper- "All Major Food Groups in One Birthday Cake" is Gloria Welniak's entry. Food print fabrics make up the slices in the cake and there's even a doily and hand-stitched ruffle trim "icing". 


I love antique quilts, and this Wedding Ring quilt was one of several in the exhibit of "Southern Quilts". All are from the collection of author Mary Kerr who wrote a book with the same title. It's the same Mary Kerr who made the Old Glory quilt at the top of this post.



Such an interesting setting and borders in this Barrister Block  Southern quilt. I'm a big fan of zig-zag vertical settings in quilts.



While some might pass this quilt by with barely a glance, it drew me right in. "Primitive Star" is aptly named and is another in the Southern Quilt exhibit.


In addition to the quilt exhibits, there were sewing and quilting classes, runway shows, demonstrations, and vendors galore! I asked permission to photograph the Quilter's Fancy booth. It was chock full of wonderful kits, fabrics, embroidery threads. Author and teacher Cindy Oravez shared lots of demonstrations of ribbon embroidery and more throughout the day.


I also came across the Rhinestone Genie. At this booth, they were offering make-it and take-it projects to show how easy it is to bling any project by making your own iron-on designs. We placed a template pierced with a design on a special baking sheet, then dusted over the top with a cloth pad and rhinestones to fill in the holes. Once the design was full, we placed an adhesive sheet on top, burnished it to grab the stones, then carefully pulled up to transfer the rhinestones to the adhesive. We were given a protective sheet to transport the sparkly piece home along with instructions for pressing to adhere it to the project of our choice. I didn't buy one.... yet! It was pretty clever and fun to do. That little peek of indigo behind the items in the photo is for another post- I took a hand-dyed fabric class, and will share the results of that soon.





6 comments:

sonja said...

thanks Nancy for taking us on a visual quilting expo trip! I loved your photos and art makers names with their pieces and reading a bit about them! I drooled the most over the "Meringue Pie" by Karen Crocker!! I found much joy in seeing ways folks used notions,especially lace in their art. Am a also big fan here of antique quilts.
Now going back for a second helping o yummy quilts!

Robbie said...

Wow! I got to see some of the sewing expo and I didn't even leave my couch! Thanks for the tour!!!! can't wait to see your hand dyed fabrics!!! You go girl!

FlourishingPalms said...

Looks like you had a really good time at this show. I'm glad for you! Learning how to rhinestone looks interesting, and it's great that you have something to show for being at the demo. And hand-dyeing too... I did that years ago and learned it's not my thing, though it was interesting to learn about.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This was amazing. I loved each and every piece you shared. I was, of course, more interested in the art quilts than the traditional quilts, but that's because I really have no interest in making any of them. Those armadillos were out of this world and the National Park quilts blew me away. I loved the Bake Off quilts. SO clever and probably much was hand dyed, too. Speaking of which, I look forward to your indigo workshop. One of the traditional quilts I liked was Primitive Star. I liked how it was asymmetrical. Thanks for sharing these beauties, Nancy.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Lovely textures - I especially love the porcupine. What a fun experience.

JaniceMarie said...

After seeing your blog, now I really wish I had gone to Lakeland. Maybe next year!