Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 24, 2018

Meditative Mandalas...







My, but these geometric circle diagrams are so soothing to work on. And I can't seem to stop. I'm enrolled in an online course titled Mandala Madness taught by Barb Owen at How to Get Creative. There are more than ten video projects that Barb walks us through. I'm enjoying them all, but the Zendala shown here may be my favorite. It's a combination of Zentangle-inspired art and the Mandala. I gave several of my black pens, a pencil and blending stump a workout completing it.




Barb does everything mixed media, fiber art, sewing and more. So of course I want to make everything she does. One of our lessons was making Mandalas on fabric using Sharpie markers and metallic paint. I used one of the pieces in a journal cover.  The results are completely unpredictable which adds to the fun. As you can see in the fabric underneath the journal, some of the markers did not bleed, but retained the freely drawn shape.



I added free-motion quilting to the piece used in the journal.


This began with plain white muslin and is ready to become something else now.


We also learned to draw Mandalas on paper, then color them in with inexpensive markers. Each one follows a pattern. This is the basic 8-section Mandala.


A 6-section one. I'm a big fan of adult coloring books, so to have my own drawings to color adds yet another element to the enjoyment. And it is meditative. Mindless or mindful, whichever you prefer to call it.



 And a 12-section one. I will probably go back to each one to add more penwork and embellishments. Plus there are several lessons I have yet to complete.





Some time ago, I also took a Mandala Magic class with Alisa Burke. This pink one was one of my first efforts. And the card is a representation of her artwork that was sent along with an order. I've placed the paper Mandalas in a Dylusions square journal with black cardstock pages. They stand out so nicely against the black background.

There are lots of pages in the journal, so I'm also using it to display artwork from others I've received in the mail or in swaps. This Betty Boop card is one that Robbie Payne of Robbie's Paw Prints blog made from a quilt image and sent for Valentine's Day. Isn't Betty just full of personality?





And these are some ATC's from a swap I joined several years ago. The journal keeps them all corralled and it's fun to leaf through. All the wonderful color keeps me inspired.




7 comments:

creativelenna said...

I especially love your Zendala, nancy, thanks for sharing 💜 I've never done a mandala before!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your Madalas are wonderful and your Zendala is incredible. Unlike you, I don't care for this type of art, because my fingers stiffen after I hold the pen for awhile. It is anything BUT relaxing for me.

I do like making Sharpie art, and have also found some bleed better than others when subjected to alcohol. I am loving what you are doing, and will admire from afar!

Jan said...

Nice work Nancy, mandalas are so fun to make and endlessly variable. And I love that idea of putting ATC's in a book with black paper. I have a book like that and might just have to borrow your idea. I have a lot of ATC's just sitting in a pile. Funny, I didn't know Robbie's last name before although I have followed her blog for years.

Robbie said...

I am familiar with Alisa's work, which is wonderful but don't know about Barb. Will have to look up her work. Your zens/mandela's are wonderful!!! What fun! Nicely done, as usual, my friend!

The Inside Stori said...

Wow….what a feast for the eyes!!! Thanks for sharing these marvelous designs.

barb said...

Hi Nancy, Thank you so much for letting me know about your blog. I LOVED seeing your Mandalas! One of my favorite things about Mandalas is that they reflect the maker so beautifully. Your Zendala is stunning! I'm so glad that you shared your results with your readers. Welcome to HowToGetCreative. ;-)

Createology said...

Nancy your Mandalas are wonderful and II do believe they have Meditative properties. How fun to be putting together the black paper journal. Do you follow Jill of TheQuiltRat.blogspot.com ? She does Mandalas also that I think you will enjoy. Creative Mandala Bliss...<3