Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Oh, the People You Meet, Part 2…


fiber arts

So many stitchers and crafters work their needles and supplies to create beautiful items “under the radar”, so to speak. There is a creative gift or spark within that drives them to make something lasting that is a labor of love. Their work is so lovely, and often it’s not seen by many others. I think it needs to be revered! I’m sharing a few more handmade items that I’ve received just to note the crafters' generosity! The delicate and lacy bookmark on the left, above, was made by Penny using her embroidery machine. The fabric tag on the right was stitched and grommeted by Celeste. She then brought one each to a fiber arts bee for us to spray, stamp, and otherwise embellish. We did so under the instruction of Sharon of Cootie Coo Creations, who also brought all of the supplies needed to complete our tags. I love how mine turned out.

cards

Card makers impress me with their meticulous work, too. The Christmas card above is one I’ve kept for many years. It was made by Mrs. Alice Howard who was well into her ‘80s when she made it 20 years ago, using her tiny hand-tatted flowers, some glitter, and ink. Do you know anyone who does tatting? It's becoming a rare needle art. Look at her beautiful penmanship, too. Quilting friend Mary did the Thank You card in the middle, above, precisely folding scrapbook papers to form the inside of the tulip. I think the technique is called Iris folding. Bea made the birthday card using pin embroidery. She pricks tiny holes in a pattern on the cardstock, then completes the design with stitches of various colors worked in thin thread or floss. she finishes her creations off with color pencil shading and some jewel accents. Her works are a marvel. Really, all of them are- so tiny and carefully worked.

hangers

Then there are the fiber artists. Billy McCray had a vendor booth at the recent Jacksonville Quilt Fest. She uses recycled materials to craft unique ornaments and other decorative accents. I purchased this lively fish for a friend’s Christmas gift. Online artists are also among the people you “meet”. The 6” square of hand printed fabric is one of a collection I won during a blog hop from The Printed Fabric Bee, Architecture. Happy day! This one was painted, textured, and stamped with hand-carved stamps by Julie B Booth. The other fabrics are in transit, so I’ll show them when they arrive. I treasure all of these items, and am constantly surprised and delighted by the wide array of creative talents I discover in the people I meet!


4 comments:

Createology said...

Treasuring each hand crafted work of HeArt is initself to be admired. I often wonder how many people I gift my time and talents to just toss it away or are not thrilled with my creativity. I adore how you are cherishing each and every piece you receive. Creative Bliss...

Robbie said...

What fun to look back at some of the fabulous 'gifts' you have from friends. Tatting is quit an art! My sister has tatted and made beautiful tablecloths! I can't imagine all that work!!! Love that little fish!!! Very cool gifts!

Unknown said...

A lovely collection from talented artisans. I have a box full of treasures from different swaps, or received as gifts which I simply get out and admire from time to time. LOVE the fish ... a beautiful piece of tiny art.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You meet some of the most INTERESTING people, whether in person or online. I'm also amazed at true card makers. They have a skill set I will never have.

My grandmother's sister who was also a medical doctor when medical doctors were all men, tatted. She used a shuttle and tried to show me how to use it, but my deformed fingers simply couldn't pinch it the right way.

You have some truly wonderful gifts, and a many great items you can be proud of. I liked the fish and the story behind it, since recycling resonates with me.