Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 29, 2015

A Pocketful of Pretty…



pocketpage5

This pretty bundle is wrapped and ready to mail for an Easter gift for a friend. The sentiment on it says “No matter how long the Winter, Spring is sure to follow.” She lives in Pennsylvania and is quite ready for Spring, given the harsh winter season that seems to be hanging on there. The idea for this project came from seeing Pocket Letters, the creation of Janette Lane. Basically you create a Pocket Letter beginning with a 9-pocket clear page like the ones used for trading cards. Then you fill each pocket with images and other goodies, add a letter to one of the pockets, fold it up and send it through the mail to a friend in a standard #10 envelope. They’re great projects for those who enjoy colorful fun mail combined with a bit of creativity. There’s even a swap network for people who love making them along with making new friends from around the world. I chose an Easter theme and found most of the beautiful images at the Graphics Fairy site where there are thousands of free images for use in craft projects. One thing I particularly enjoyed was the chance to use a variety of images. I have a hard time choosing just one when I’m making a greeting card or other project. This time I could download to my heart’s content!

pocketpage1

Here’s the front side of the page before folding. In addition to the images, I was able to add little bits of tatting, trims, buttons, and flowers to decorate the pockets. A Graphic 45 image (center row, right) combined well with the others and I used a selection of scrapbooking paper in fresh looking pastels to back the images.

pocketpage2


Here are some close-up photos of sections of the pocket page. Because they’re made from clear plastic, it’s a challenge to photograph them clearly without getting reflective shine.

pocketpage3

A few more of the images that really invited me to “think Spring.” Many of them seem to be from vintage greeting cards and contain a lot of pretty detail. I think it would be fun to make one of these with a dog or cat theme, and a beach theme. Those may be next.

pocketpage4

Can’t forget the back! I left the backs a bit more plain, but still added a few smaller images here. What does one do with a Pocket Letter? Since the pocket sheet protector is punched, they might collect them in a ring binder. I’m thinking my friend may want to take the cards out and use them in a journal of her own. But just a bit of joy coming in the mail is really quite enough for me. Easter blessings!

3 comments:

sonja said...

your Friend will be tickled spring to see these. love the vintage cards you worked with. i have a taste for the vintage ,postcards of holidays,flower, horses and the linen ones, texture and of course the Hawaii ones. And now we can gather them from the internet!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, Nancy. This is a fun way to spread a bit of joy. And I have a TON of those card holders, since I make a bunch of ATCs. You picked some lovely images, and I believe your friend is going to really like her gift, especially since the winter has been so long there.

Createology said...

As I am catching up from jury duty last week I see your wonderful "Pocket Letter" artwork. This is really fun and thank you for sharing as I now want to do this. Are you participating in National Letter Writing Month April 2015? This idea is perfect for this. Creative Bliss Dear...