Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 12, 2012

Catching up on Quilt Blocks...

Well, it's time to get caught up on the Craftsy Block-of-the-Month patterns. I had missed a few of the months since summer. This month the instructor on the site is covering block layout and assembly. So it's definitely time to get these blocks completed. There are about 3 blocks I don't plan to make, so will have to determine if I want to replace them with another pattern or plan a quilt with fewer blocks.


It's been a fun series and the block patterns have included an assortment of different piecing methods. Quick triangle pieced squares, foundation piecing (I haven't done that block yet), curved piecing, improvisational piecing... instructor Amy Gibson demonstrated a lot of sewing techniques.


I'm a fan of wheel blocks like this one and the Dresden Plate below, so I definitely wanted to include these in my quilt. The center circle is done using machine stitched lined applique which is turned right side out and then stitched in place. No raw edges to turn under, and a perfect circle.


A new tool I purchased and found very useful for this project is the Olfa turntable. The cutting mat top turns easily so you don't have to move your ruler or the fabric pieces to trim around a shape. I'd been considering one of these for some time, and am glad I got it now. It was just right for cutting the 20 fan blades for each of these wheel blocks.



6 comments:

Lynette said...

Nice work on those Craftsy blocks. :D Yeah, I recently picked up the turntable cutting mat - sure is nice sometimes! I like how it fits just fine on my coffee table so I can do a bunch of trimming (e.g. HST's) in front of a show.

Susan said...

Nancy, your blocks turned out beautifully! I love the colors in the Dresden Plate block. I never knew there was such a thing as that turntable. That would really be nice to have!

Susan said...

Patience and persistence pays off. Your blocks are beautiful.

Robbie said...

NICELY done, Nancy!

Unknown said...

So difficult to choose -if I had to :o). I think I would have to run off with your Dresden plate. Such happy colours. Beautiful work - love your new cutting mat. They come up with the coolest tools now, don't they. xoDonna

Unknown said...

It was pretty amazing and helpful blog post.Nice I really enjoyed it.
wholesale incense