Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 21, 2012

An Easy, Breezy Quilt....

This simple, pieced quilt top is made from lots and lots of fabrics scraps from Bahama Hand Prints in Nassau, Bahamas. I puzzled over the right project in which to use the scraps for quite some time. I sorted, petted, re-sorted, and just enjoyed the fabrics for most of this year. The goal was to make a quilt in which the prints could be showcased, and this pattern from Julie Herman's new book "Skip the Borders" seemed just the ticket. The color setting in the photo looks more gold than the lime green it is in person. But you get the gist. Looking at this quilt, I can practically feel the Caribbean breezes blow! It makes me happy, and I'm now considering how to quilt it. Any suggestions?


When a group of quilting friends went on a cruise earlier this year, we enjoyed not only The Stepping Stone Quilters show (see three posts here), but also the fabric screening shop, Bahama Hand Prints (see earlier post), where some of the group visited. They surprised me with the gift of a scrap bag full of lovely prints made at the shop. It contains everything from knits to batiste to cotton to canvas-like prints. And so does my quilt, except for the knits.


Trouble is, the scraps now have scraps. And of course I can't bear to toss them. I am a prolific scrap saver. No wonder my sewing room storage becomes so challenging to manage! But I'm confident there will be a use for these, so they're staying with me for now. And I'll be back with this quilt top when it's completed.


4 comments:

Robbie said...

I haven't been to the Bahama's since 1968!! So your quilt just reminded me of Florida!! Both are sunny places!!! Nice work!!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful memory of warm tropical breezes and a wonderful journey with your tribe. I know what you mean about scraps. Is there a scrapaholic place we could join? (Or do we really want to :o). xoDonna

Valerie said...

That really does have a breezy, light and airy feel to it! Many quilting options come to my mind. I think this would be fun to quilt in the "modern" style. Using lots of straight lines (noting that straight and evenly spaced is not a requirement) or swirls over the entire top. Or if you want to do lots of quilting, maybe some type of fill in the "L" shapes and another in the 4 patches. Lots of starts and stops with that option though but you might determine a plan that lets you move from one block to the next w/o stopping.

Very pretty and fun! I'm the same with scraps, just can't part with them....


sonja said...

what about doing echo shells that i just saw on Lea's blog as this looks so breezy and beachy to me!