Well it turns out that making these collage fish really is like eating just one potato chip... can't be done. Here's my latest fish (the first one can be seen here). Quilting friend Joanne (who got me started with fish) and I decided to both use the blue print fabric you see on the side of the fish above. It looks kind of like scales to me. Anyhow, this was a challenge of a sort just to see how each of us would place the fabric in a fish. Once done, we would each reveal our projects. Joanne's is on her new blog here... stop by and see it, and see her other sewing and quilting projects there as well. And this is the reveal of my swimmer. They are such fun to make.
Here's a detail photo so you can see the various fabrics used in the fins, flippers, and lips. Yes, fish do have lips. The seaweed is neon-colored sewing thread another quilting friend gave me. She'd pulled it off some partially empty spools and thought it was too pretty to throw out! It's trapped underneath the light-color tulle I used to secure the raw-edge pieces of the fish.
The fish at right is another of Joanne's projects, but not the challenge one. She's a prolific fish-maker. She sent several of her quilts down here to Florida because she's coming later this year to present a talk and trunk show for a guild program. This was a start on getting a few quilts here.
I love this close-up because it really shows how creatively Joanne used fibers along the tail and fins. There are some fiber water plants along the side, too. Looks like the fish is swimming... lots of movement in the piece. There truly are a lot of fish in the sea!