Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Whirligig Quilt...




This is another quilt I've been inching along toward completion. Now the binding is on, and it is done. The pattern makes use of width-of-fabric strips joined in pairs. They're 2 1/2" strips, so it's a good quilt for using a Jelly Roll or similar pre-cut fabric collections.


As you look at the quilt, you'll notice that the border blocks and the blocks in the inner rectangle are reverse images of each other (see side-by-side blocks in photo below). Using the strip-piecing method in the pattern results in both blocks being sewn at the same time. So it really feels like a "quick quilt." You can find the pattern in quilt shops, or on the Quilt-in-a-Day website.


Claudia from Quiltworks of Orange Springs quilted this project. I like the graceful, swirling leafy motif she used on it. You can see it more clearly in the photo below where I've placed blocks on the back side of the quilt to photograph them. It's a soft and feminine quilt. I'm not sure where this quilt will reside. It may become a charitable donation quilt, but I'm still thinking on it.





Below are some more of the leftovers. There are lots of 4-Patch units from trimming the strip sets. Of course I can hardly bear to throw anything away, so these will lurk in the closet until I dream up a project that will make use of them. They won't be lonely in the closet though. There are more leftovers in there to keep them company. The ones at right, below, are from a Drunkard's Path quilt top that is waiting for a border. What do you do with your leftovers?































7 comments:

Lynette said...

I love construction "tricks" that make blocks that look more complicated than they are to make. :D

Nancy said...

Nancy, this quilt is beautiful...Years ago I used to do quilted wallhangings but I haven't done any lately....Your projects always make me want to jump into your playing area......I signed up for the journaling class but haven't had much time to work on it......

Hugs and blessings

Robbie said...

As of this afternoon, I'm tossing my "leftovers"! Yikes! Talk about too much fabric..yes, there is such a thing! I do like this pattern!! And if you look closely you see another pattern within the pattern! I just had to stare at it!

Unknown said...

Oh left overs. I finally sold mine at a garage sale and made $1,800.00. Can you tell how many left overs I had??!!! USE THEM. Stick them on envelopes, on cars, on buses, on store windows, on shopping bags, enclose them with birthday cards, Christmas cards, stuff a few in a post box without an address .. ha ha. enjoy them. Leave them in your closet until you are inspired. Beautiful quilt Nancy ... makes me homesick for doing one - but no -- NOT GOING TO! ha ha. hugs, Donna

Valerie said...

Love it and love the quilting.... ah the perfection of digitized patterns. I made 2 laps quilts with that pattern. Among the first quilts I ever machine pieced and machine quilted. I like your fabric choices.

sonja said...

most of my fabrics are painted and are joyful colors so i sew little strips or pieces together and make postcards and send them away. another way i use small amounts "planned overs" from larger projects is to make camera bags or cell cases or glass or rotary cutters cases and off they go. or they become "star bellies" as i love to make stars! love the whirligig quilt you made!

Jan said...

Catching up on your blog, I am really liking your quilts, this whirlygig one (looks more difficult than I like to tackle) and your green stash busting one. Good work! Also enjoyed seeing your book cover, I can see you are having fun with that.