Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 9, 2011

At the Quilt Show...



The Tree City Guild in Gainesville, FL, always puts on a great quilt show, and last weekend's was no exception. The theme for this year's biennial show was patriotic, and the quilts shown above greeted show-goers at the entrance. One thing I particularly enjoy at their show is the small vignettes set up around the exhibit area. Here's one I thought was especially nostalgic. And another is shown at the end of this post.










I'll show one of my Quilts of Valor donation quilts here because it goes with the patriotic theme. Quilts of Valor Foundation is such a worthy cause because the quilts (and they are not limited to red/white/blue color schemes), are distributed through VA hospitals to service men and women who have been touched by war. I've completed several, and have another one in the works. My quilting friend Claudia of Quiltworks Orange Springs donates her longarm quilting on these charitable quilts. You can see a gallery of several she's completed on her site. The red star blocks in my quilt were made as part of a guild exchange, so I really only had to make the alternate blocks and the border.




4 comments:

Robbie said...

My friend who lives in Ocala was telling me about this quilt show. She said there was a wonderful woven quilt but I don't remember the name. And what a nice gesture for the donation quilt, which by the way is QUITE nice!

Unknown said...

The quilt you made to give away is gorgeous! I can imagine the reaction of anyone who would receive it. How lovely. I was an avid quilter for a number of years, so I appreciate everything about the craft. It's addictive. Thanks for sharing - looks like a lovely show. Donna

Valerie said...

I missed the show?! Somehow not on my radar at all but then again we did have out of state company this weekend. Love the pics and your QOV quilt. Is that your service flag or was that at the show? Next quick project on my agenda, one for me and one for DMIL.

Martha Lever said...

That looks like a wonderful show. That is great that these quilts are given to
patients in the VA hospitals. Out servicemen and women are so undervalued. This is a wonderful thing, Nancy! oxox