Powered By Blogger

Monday, September 4, 2023

Eye of the Beholder...

 


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I'm told. So that's what I'm calling this quilt. It may not be every beholder's cup of tea, but I'm loving it. We had a tutorial at our Quilter's Day Camp sessions earlier this year and learned to make these blocks. They are so fast and so much fun to make that I had a hard time stopping to assemble them into a quilt!


The arcs are free-cut from a stack of four 10" squares, then the pieces are swapped around and sewn back together. You can see in the photo that each block winds up with one piece from each fabric, but in a different position within the block. It's so random that pretty much any fabric works in these. All you need is a sharp new blade in the rotary cutter. And one of these turn-table cutting mats is also useful when it comes time to trim the pieced blocks to 7 1/2" square.



Merri, our instructor is on the left, and group member Joyce is holding the pillow I also made on the right. We're having show-and-tell at our Fiber Art Bee meeting. Merri is also holding Sal the Southern Sass doll I showed here on the blog previously. I made a tote bag, too. AND I have lots more blocks made, plus squares cut for more. I thoroughly enjoyed making this quilt.


6 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

It's really cool. Lots of movement and set off perfectly with the black and white ♥

marilyn said...

I enjoy your blog. Always something new. I try most of your ideas. I will be trying out this quilt block. Thanks.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Terrific quilt (and pillow) -- good for you!!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've always felt things needed to match, but for the opast several years, these quilts have taken over the craft world. I do like yours. Love that doll and that's a cute pillow, too.

FlourishingPalms said...

Such a neat improv design! I love improv curves like these. Interestingly, Cindy Grisdela teaches a workshop that's almost like this. She's coming to The Villages - Quilting Guild of The Villages - in December to give that workshop. I hadn't planned to attend, since I often make curves in my improv quilts, but... you have me thinking differently. Seems like it would be such fun to make something colorful like this along with friends. I love what you did!

Janice said...

Looking forward to our Oct CRQ demo!