Powered By Blogger

Friday, September 29, 2023

Circle Mania...


Since completing the "Eye of the Beholder" quilt (seen here in an earlier post), my eye goes right to quilt designs based on circles. I recently visited QuiltFest Jacksonville where I saw some beauties. Come to the quilt show with me and I'll show you a few of my favorites. This quilt, coincidentally, is also titled "Eye of the Beholder" and is the entry of maker Tori Drew. I was impressed with how she controlled the many improvisational pieced curves in her quilt.


 This is Paula Fuqua's entry titled "Time Passages" which was quilted by Laura Bezares. Pieced fabrics are cut into curves and pieced into the blocks. It's full of color and fun fabrics.


Pieced scraps and project leftovers also appear in "Orange Marmalade" by Candi Lennox, a ribbon winner in the Intermediate Pieced category. She used the same set of Giant Nested Curves templates to create her quilt.

Big and bold is how I'd describe this Bulls-Eye pattern by Karen Kimmel. It earned a Judge's Recognition award.

Tori Drew pieced "Strawberry Tide Pool" using indigo prints and a novelty strawberry print together in traditional Drunkard's Path blocks. To me, it's somehow a soothing, calm quilt.

"Circle in Motion" is the entry of Karen Kimmel (quilted by Nimmi Kroos). She used a pattern by Karen Friedlander in this bright happy quilt to which she added her own applique elements.

A paper-pieced pattern by Karen Stone made for perfect points in Caroline Moegenburg's "Untitled" entry (quilted by Susan Melarvie Sturgeon). The quilt looks to contain many different necktie silks.


Acrylic templates like these arcs and Drunkard's Path pieces go a long way in helping accurate cutting and piecing of curved units like those used in some of the quilts.


I use them to cut the pieces for Drunkard's Path units from scraps, and keep a stack of them by the sewing machine. When I finish a seam on a project, I sew a unit to avoid cutting the thread between piecing runs. Eventually I'll have a quilt-worth of them. I use them in a manner similar to quilt teacher Bonnie Hunter's popular "leaders-and-enders" piecing.


I was intrigued by the Radiant Suns templates and borrowed a set from a quilting friend just to try them out. I'm doubtful I'll make an entire quilt from them, but it might become a center medallion in a future project. Most of the fabrics in the block are ones I purchased at the quilt show- a new release called Story Board by artist Seth Apter. I think I'll just keep the wheels spinning in the sewing room for awhile.

















3 comments:

Julierose said...

Just lovely circle quilts: thanks for taking us along to the show...I haven't ever made many circle quilts--only a couple long ago -- they are really compelling...nice fabric line hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I made a large quilt with the Radiant Suns design - it has hung on the wall in our foyer for years and it still thrills us each time we walk past it. The Seth Apter fabrics are perfect for this project!!!

FlourishingPalms said...

Like you, I am completely draws to circles, whether they're improv-pieced, pieced, appliquéd, or quilted. You shared here such a nice variety of circle/curve possibilities from the quilt show. How interesting that you would piece curves as leaders-enders. That's a bit of a challenge, I'd think, but definitely doable... if you're not in a rush to complete the quilt you're working on! :-) Borrowing templates is a good way to try a new technique... and learn you don't want to invest in them for yourself. I think the block you made is gorgeous, and will be the perfect start for a medallion quilt. And you bought fabric, huh? :-) Ah, sometimes, especially in person, it's absolutely irresistible, even when it's expensive. I sure understand that!