Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 27, 2023

A Little Southern Sass...

 



Meet Sal. Granted, she's not your standard cuddly soft doll, but she has her own special style. And she did enjoy sitting on several people's laps when she made the rounds at show-and-tell at our Fiber Art Bee meeting recently. So she is kind of cuddly. Or at least huggable for sure. Sal is my project made in Kecia Deveney's online class called Southern Sass. Kecia teaches her students how to design a pattern and pull together the elements and mixed media techniques to come up with a one-of-a-kind fabric art doll. I've been working on Sal for many weeks. Half the fun is searching through my stash to find the bits and pieces I thought belonged to create Sal's personality.



Sal looks good both coming and going. Even her backside got plenty of attention with fabric and embroidery accents. The fabric base is one I learned to make in Liz Constable's tutorial as part of Fodder School, a year-long online class featuring a different teacher each month. The fabric involved scorching and painting which was quite fun. Online classes have pretty much replaced tv for me. I find so little I want to watch on television, but never tire of learning new art methods and techniques via these classes. I'm sure I won't be able to stop at making just one, so Sal will have at least one sister soon.







6 comments:

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love it when you find a project that you can combine lots of different elements from your stash. Looks like you had lots of fun with this one

FlourishingPalms said...

What a character! A real Renaissance woman! It's wonderful to know how you engage in these online learning opportunities, and how to you utilize your stash, bits and bobs, and lessons to come up with something so unique. It's delightful! And looks very huggable.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Nice to meet Sal. She is one real "beauty." I can see why your craft group would find her cuddly. Nicely done, Nancy.

Barwitzki said...

Oh how nice... I think there will definitely be another doll :-))
and I think once you start you won't be able to stop...
wonderful ;-)
I'll have to see what I can find in the supplies of fabric... wonderful!!
Thank you and best wishes to you.

The Inside Stori said...

Drooling over all the lovely hand work......can't wait to get back at it. I'll never under appreciate the ability of having the use of both hands~~~

Susan Lenz said...

Such a fun piece! Thanks so much for helping me promote the show at Central Florida! I look forward to meeting you at the reception! Thanks, too, for reading my blog!