Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 6, 2023

Behold, the Humble Button...


They won't wilt and they won't fade! Check out these fun floral bouquets made using buttons and floral wire. I'll bet you have a good-size button jar or tin in your sewing room that's just chock full. I certainly do. So when our Fiber Art Bee group had a button workshop to learn to make fun things using them, I took to it like a duck to water. And it's been non-stop since then. So much color and such a variety of ways to put the buttons together- everything looks good together. Don't they have an almost Seuss-like look? 


A few beads also found their way into the button flower stems. In addition to the fun of making the flowers, I also enjoyed several trips to local thrift stores to find inexpensive vases in which to display them.  My one rule is the vases needed to be under $3, and I found some beauties!



The bouquets look so bright and cheerful sitting on a desk, shelf, or windowsill all around the house. And yet, there is a limit. I want to keep making them and using up buttons, but have space for only a few. So some of these bouquets have been welcomed into a new home after I donated them to our quilt guild's shopping boutique for a recent show. That button box is not empty yet, so I'll keep making these!



The supplies are simple- buttons in assorted colors and sizes, and wire or wrapped floral wire. I prefer handling the floral wire as it seems to have a bit more substance than jewelry wire. It does want to fray at the ends, so I coat each end lightly with clear glue- or even clear nail polish would work. That helps when it's time to thread the wire through the button holes. Just bend the wire in half so the mid-point becomes the top of the flower stem and thread the two wire pieces through the buttonholes. Thread several buttons to make a stack, starting with smallest and working to largest. Twist the wires together for about a half inch or so and add more buttons. You can see that my button stems each have three to five stacks. Then twist all the way to the end of the wires and arrange the stems in a vase. Add some glass marbles at the bottom of the vase to counterbalance the weight of the buttons if needed. So get you some buttons, and start stacking and twisting!

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Oh Nancy, this is wonderful. I have thousands of buttons and this would make great stocking stuffers for friends who have everything. Thank you for showing how to make them. Yours are really delightful.

Lynette (NZ) said...

Delightful idea :-)

Boomer said...

Your post was a fantastic blend of informative and thought-provoking content.

FlourishingPalms said...

Oh Nancy! These are just delightful! Indeed, the term you applied to them - "Seuss" - is just the effect they give..I love that you found vases at thrift shops, as I must do such shopping to at least come up with ONE vase for my Lego bouquet. Seems like a trip to Hobby Lobby might be in order, for floral wire and marbles too. Thank you for explaining how to you made these. I think I need to give making them a try.

Queen Vegas said...

I appreciate your commitment to fostering meaningful conversations. Thank you!