Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 2, 2023

New Year, New Project...

 



"Use it up" is my motto for this year. I really need to dig into my fabrics and put them to work. That's what I decided to do over the New Year's weekend by making this quilt-as-you-go tote. While I have an abundance of totes, I'm still drawn to them and they are always useful. They seem to be good repositories for scraps, strips, and other smaller bits of fabrics, too. This is side one of The Alexandra Tote, and as you can see, it's not easy to get a good photo of a tote bag.


Here's side two of what is a pretty roomy bag. It was easy to stitch as well because it's a "sew by number" project. I purchased a pattern with a kit that included batting printed with placement lines and webbing for the strap handles. The strip sizes are the same as pre-cut rolls, so that could make the project even quicker. But my goal was to use what I had on hand, so I first cut strips from assorted fabrics.


Here's the pattern view which shows a few different versions. It's always nice to start the year with a quick, quilty finish, and I know I'll get plenty of use from this bag. Now to make more progress in reducing the fabrics and other supplies on hand! 


4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy 2023, dear Nancy. Looks like you are well on your way to using some of that excess fabric you have on hand. I suspect this is just the first or many more of these very large totes. What a great way to "use it up."

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That should be "OF" many more, not "OR." I can't seem to type tonight!

FlourishingPalms said...

Good for you to have finish already in 2023! Though I have lots of totes, I can see the appeal in this one. You will surely put it to good use. And I hope you're able to "use it up" as you hope, this year. Your goal should really be standard practice for all of us. You are not alone. Best wishes!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Love your tote and your philosophy. Seems we'll be aiming for similar things this year since I want to focus on 'sustainable' and part of that is finding value in what I already have. Look forward to seeing where your creativity leads in 2023