Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2022

Roped In and Bowled Over...

 



A recent quilt guild class in making rope bowls had a little different twist to the method for stitching them. I've made fabric covered bowls in the past, but for this project, our instructor had us feature more of the cotton clothesline rope in its raw, neutral-color state. We added just a few accents of color with cotton fabrics and could finish them in a variety of ways. I chose a yo-yo and starfish embellishment for my watery-looking fabric bowl.


The other difference was the use of a "quilted" bottom which could showcase a pretty fabric or motif on the inside of the bowl. After coiling and stitching a base of plain rope, we added a circle of fabric and quilted lines across to secure it. Then we continued on, building up the sides and adding another few rounds of fabric.



There was enough rope left in the skein to complete at least one more medium-size bowl. This time I wrapped parts of the rope with a fancy wide yarn I had in my supplies, and finished it off with a yarn-wrapped disc of rope along with some rope loops.


Sewing while wrapping was fiddly, so I'm not sure I'd try it again. But I do like the results.


Here is the stitched coil under the machine needle with the sides just being formed. Making a bowl is a relaxing sewing project and relatively quick, too. And the bowls make lovely accents, storage, or gifts.


Our instructor brought plenty of her own rope bowls in various sizes, shapes, and finishes to inspire us.



She even uses them for casserole and serving plate holders as seen in the two vessels in the foreground. And note her project-in-progress at the lower left. It features one of the cute Laurel Burch cats on the quilted bottom.

This is our teacher Peggy. She also enjoys garment sewing in addition to quiltmaking. A talented woman! 

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I had NO idea you sewed these rope bowls on the sewing machine. The instructor had some really clever pieces. I really liked yours. I am especially fond of that first bowl. They are both well done. I'm sort of bowled over with your talent, Nancy.



Lynette (NZ) said...

Clever title ;-) I do like your starfish bowl very much

FlourishingPalms said...

The first bowl you showed is my favorite. Stunning with only a little bit of fabric and that starfish-shaped shell. I agree that the raw rope color looks good with a small fabric accent, including that bottom piece. I've never made a fabric bowl because I can't imagine how I'd use one. With few surfaces in my home to hold gew-gahs, I've never felt the urge to make one, but yours... now that one might change my mind! :-) Your instructor is certainly talented, and it's wonderful that she shared this with you.

The Inside Stori said...

Better late than never……so behind reading blogs…..but want to say….I love your bowls……inspiring!!

Jan said...

What cute bowls and such clean lines. I've made similar ones before but yours look so professional. Great project. Now where is that coil of rope I've been saving......