Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 5, 2022

All Hearts...

 

Phew! It's been some time since I've posted on this blog. That's because life took a turn. You've probably heard the saying, "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans."? That quote is attributed to John Lennon. It's been kind of like that around here. My husband Jack fell and fractured his hip which turned out to the the least of the problems. All sorts of other issues emerged when he was admitted to the hospital. So after a week's stay and two surgeries, he's finally at home to begin a recovery. This has been a very looooong month and there's more to resolve. Lots of plans got moved to the back burner, including sewing and crafting. This sweet stitched and stuffed heart was among them.

I had intended to complete it in time for Valentine's Day, but it's bead- and stitch-intensive, so it just moved along at its own slow pace. It's a "motto cushion" made from a free pattern and tutorial from Design Matters. It was fun and relaxing to sew and the motto "devoted" seemed to reflect my role as caregiver over these past weeks. You can make one with simple supplies including felt, beads, embroidery floss, and stuffing.


Because we've been somewhat confined to home, I also find that the online classes I so enjoy provided some fun and creative outlets.  A yearlong class called Fodder School offers monthly instruction for mixed media art methods to make "collage fodder"- little bits to include in journals or use for cards and other projects. It really feeds into my goal of mastering watercolor techniques. "Master" may be too ambitious. "Get along with" might better sum up my relationship with watercolors. The background and tiny heart are two of the bits from the course and the dog is a commercial die cut image. Of course I love sewing on the papers that result from my efforts, too.


I'm looking forward to completing some larger sewing projects and to returning to "normal" activities in the days ahead. And hopefully there won't be a big time lapse like this one between blog posts. Thank you for following and reading!



5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So sorry to read about your husband. I know how stressful that must have been. That Collage Fodder course sounds interesting, but it's a bit more than my $60.00 yearly allowance for art. I enjoyed seeing what you created, though. And the beaded heart is absolutely out of this world, Nancy. To say I love it is an understatement!

Jan said...

Hi Nancy, so sorry to hear of the health issues in your family. Hope things are happily resolved soon. I love the heart project you are working on and am going to take a look at that tutorial right now, looks like fun.

FlourishingPalms said...

I know you and hubs have had a rough go of it lately, and I'm so sorry! As you said, we never know when life will take a turn. That's a good reminder to all of us to make plans while we can, but hold them loosely! I know you've been devoted to his care, and that's his blessing. Now I am hoping everything is firmly resolved, and that life will again commence at a happy pace. Good for you to continue to do a little bit of stitching during all of it. Though I know it's not easy or even desirable to carve out "me" time, your little heart is a good example of "just enough." It's great that you're also continuing to take online classes. I truly admire you for that! So many people I know refuse to even try learning that way, hence why Central Florida MQG isn't able to fill an online workshop. I don't understand it. So, I hope you conquer watercolor (it got the better of me decades ago!) and continue to make the collage sort of art that you enjoy. Stay well yourself!

Lynette (NZ) said...

Wishing you well for your husband's recovery of health and your recovery of creative time! I adore your motto heart - it's one of my projects for "one day" so you have inspired me to look at that again. Take care xo

The Inside Stori said...

It’s been so helpful exchanging the ongoing health issues of our hubbies…….wishing you both a speedy recovery!! Hang in there.